Submitted (12 edits)

Release Trailer:

***UPDATE***[7/25/2018]

ALLS I GOTS IS 5 DAYS?!?!
The pressure is on...

Here's some more progess:

Yay for fishing!

Camping

You know something's going down when everyone gathers in the rain!

Here's an updated video on the town, just to show a little more.

***UPDATE***[7/16/2018]
Things are coming along, I've got a story outline! Granted, most of it hasn't been implemented at all, but I have been able to complete some NPCs and my friend is working on some character art for me. So, inspiration is flowing! I'm starting to feel the time crunch now, though. This panning view of the town shows some of those NPCs I've made:

**UPDATE** [7/12/2018]
So, I have a somewhat of a plot brewing in my mind, but nothing palpable yet. But here are some videos of some of the game running!

**UPDATE** [7/8/2018]

I still don't have a real direction for the game, eventually I'll think of something I'm sure. But, for the time being, I made my first character sprite.  Not sure if this will be final but it feels good to have something to fill in.  I've also made some more tiles for interiors from the tilesets I'm using from the website, but not ready to show any of that yet.

I plan to release some of the characters I make to opengameart.org once I have some finished. They are pre-rendered in blender, here's a peek at the model I made for this one:

I have a base model that I basically edit and render out the frames for, so the process doesn't take very long. :)

Anyway, that's all for now.

**OLD**

My engine of choice is SMILE GAME BUILDER. It's fairly new, but I've had some good experience with it over the past year or so.

Here's my "Just in Case" Attribution list. I'm not sure if I'll use everything I've downloaded yet, but I've definitely already used a few!

ATTRIBUTIONS:

Mallaria - crate and barrel

xelu - free prompt icons
Credit to: Stephen "Redshrike" Challener, MrBeast, Surt, Blarumyrran, Sharm, Zabin - RPG Enemies: Dragons
Zingot Games www.zingot.com - Bitmap Font Pack
Leonard Pabin - Whispers of Avalon: Grassland tileset
Hyptosis and Zabin - Hyptosis Free Tiles
Matthew Pablo - http://www.matthewpablo.com - Music
Stephen Challener (Redshrike), hosted by OpenGameArt.org - Mushroom Monster
blarumyrran@gmail.com - Sea Serpent
Wyverii http://unsealed.k3rnel.net - Terrex
JosephSeraph - GreenGoo
codeman38 - Lunchtime Doubly So Font
Wolf and Scream SFX - www.freesoundeffects.com
The Cynic Project - Dark Forest Theme
Strawberries777 - Chibi Base Model https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/69737
Mike Koenig - Water Drop Low SFX
Vecteezy.com - Fresh Water Fish Vector
Chromaeleon - 2D Pixel Fire Sprite Strip
www.kenney.nl - Nature Kit

Submitted

Looks good! Good luck dude!

Submitted

Thank you very much and good luck to you as well! :)

Submitted

The scene looks beautiful. I think it feels like a half way point between octopath traveler and animal crossing :). I am looking forward to seeing it in action.

I had never heard of smile game builder before. It looks really cool. Also the the unity exporter is an interesting feature I had never seen before. Thank you for drawing it to my attention.

Submitted

Thanks Saliv, and you're welcome. It's a fun little engine, a little limited for now, but it's really come a long way since release. :)

Host

I've never heard of smile either, interesting. Your game looks good matey, and your flying the flag for this smile engine. I might take a look at it sometime, I just wait to play your game first.good luck! :)

Submitted

Thank you, and yeah, being a fan of the RPG Maker series for years, I've always wanted a 3D version of it for a while. It's similar but different enough to hold it's own. Though, it still needs lots of work to be just as functional. I really hope to finish the game in time (or enough of it anyway) :) Still have time! XD

Damn I gotta work harder in this competition to beat you! Good luck on the comp ;)

Submitted

Haha, let's do this! Good luck to you as well, my friend. I can't wait to see what everyone else makes!

Ah cr*p I'm too late, this is exactly the kind of style I wanted to try too! Now I'll have to think of something else.
On a side note I was unsure about it but looking at your screenshot and video the 2.5D mix looks way better than what I originally thought.

Submitted

LOL! Nothing wrong with another 2.5D game in the competition! Unless you planned on using the same exact tiles. Still, even then, what you come up with could be completely different type of game. Anyway, good luck to you! Thanks for the compliments.

looks great

Submitted

Thanks! 

Deleted post
Submitted

Lol! nonono come on, don't go there! I'm sure you're doing great. :)

Deleted post
Host

those models of characters will be a great addition to OGA should you release any there,and I'm really looking forward to seeing this in action.:)

Submitted

Sorry for the late response, somehow I missed this. lol The models I'm making are themselves edited from someone else's base which is already available on blend swap here: https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/69737  I'm just making adjustments, and adding things, and then rendering out a sprite :) 

Submitted

Updated the OP with a couple of short videos.

Deleted post
Submitted

haha yea, I would consider this engine very similar to RPG maker in a lot of ways.

Deleted post
Submitted

This looks really REALLY good. I would love to be able to do something like this. The 2d in a 3d environment usually ends up looking tacky but this looks awesome. The 3d model meshes really well with the environment too. Also the swivel dynamics of the camera in the battle scene is epic. Only thing I'm not super crazy about is the walking, seems a little awkward. Not the animation, that's fine, but the actual movement/directions. Keep up the awesome stuff!

Submitted

Thank you very much! The nature of the engine helps with how well this looks, I couldn't begin to know how to program something like this. I have a love\hate relationship with the camera though, because of the way it handles the enemy position. While it worked really well with the battle I posted, sometimes, it's erratic and goes way to far to the left or right and rotates on the z too much instead of staying locked in the perspective. The devs told me they may be able to come up with a solution to this issue. As far as the movement, that's one of the limitations of the engine I can't fix right now. I've tried using their built in "Events" to program diagonal transitions for the character sprite but it's not optimized enough to give smooth transitions, resulting in some very noticeable jutter. Hopefully the devs look into my requests to fix this and simply support 8-directional sprites for the core software. These are things I kinda expected to crop up with this type of engine though, luckily it allows me to report these issues to the devs so future projects might have smoother\better features. I'm done jabbering now, thanks again!

Deleted post
Submitted

Hahah, thanks! Maybe I'll upload a little trailer once I have a little more done. I do have some music in place, and just finished all of the maps for the story quest area this adventure will focus on! Still lots to do but I can feel things really starting to evolve into a proper game! :)

Deleted post
Submitted

Added an updated video on the OP

Deleted post
Submitted

Haha, thanks, nearly all the assets use something from OpenGameArt, aside from characters, npcs and a few map objects. I really liked this song as the town choice as well :)

Deleted post
Submitted

Thanks! Who knows, but,  it really makes things more exciting when you have several talented game developers competing. So much fun! :)

Deleted post
Submitted

Posted some more updates :)

Deleted post
Submitted

YOU CRACK ME UP! LEZ DO DIS!

Submitted

So close to uploading this sucker! Putting together the credits scene in Unity.

Submitted

That is a good lucking credits page. I look forward to seeing your game soon.

Submitted

Thank you very much! :D 

Submitted

The game has been posted. It's not as polished as I was hoping, or as bug free... OR as typo free XD but it is what it is! I hope people enjoy it! :D

Submitted

If it is anywhere near as good as the release trailer I am sure people will. Also, good job getting your game out on time. :)

Submitted

Thank you! It was fun to make nonetheless, learned some stuff on the way, too!

Deleted post