Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Are Scratch games allowed?

A topic by Five-Bros Studios created Nov 14, 2021 Views: 183 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 5

I'm currently learning to code, and for now I'm only good at Scratch.

HostSubmitted

yes, scratch games are absolutely welcome!

And don’t feel bad about using scratch.   I’ve done some scratch in my time and while it might not be much typing it’s definitely programming!  :)

Ok, awesome! I'm not sure if I'll finish because of school, but I'll see what I can come up with!

Submitted

Hey mate, in case you didnt know...

In order to enter a game made with scratch online, follow these instructions after you have set up a game page on itch:-

1. Set 'Kind of Project' to Downloadable 

2. Select 'Add External File' (it's to the right of the 'Upload File' and 'Choose From Dropbox' buttons) 

3. Change type from Executable to Source Code.

4. Copy and paste the Scratch URL for the game into the 'http://' section.

The 'Download' button on your new itch page will now take players directly to your browser playable Scratch game!

You can now enter your game into any game jam!

(1 edit)

Ok, I was planning to do the game offline, as there's a downloadable engine for Scratch, and releasing the project file and linking the engine. Scratch with too big of a game can get pretty laggy online, and eventually it'll just refuse to save. Would that be alright?

Submitted

It's not against the rules. The only concern is that folks may have to install scratch but If it's a standalone exe then there is no hassle for anyone who wants to download and play. Should be good matey!

Unfortunately they would have to install scratch to play the game, but the engine itself is around a hundred megs, so not very big at all.

(1 edit)

have you tried gdevelop? it's alot different from coding with scratch, it does event-based visual scripting not "blocks of code" style scripting, but it is very intuitive, it is mit-licensed libre software, exports to html5 natively, and executables can be built manually or using their web compiler thing. i know you said you are learning to code, so if that is your real end goal then gdevelop might not be for you, as it is definately "cheating" and the way of thinking about how to accomplish something is quite different from traditional coding. if your goal is just to make games, then it is a great engine. personally i have never been able to code effectively. my brain just misfires and i have a spiritual seizure. i have been fiddling with hobbyist gamedev since the late 90s when i was kid, and i've never really learned to code. maybe i'm just lazy. i am only just learning to use gdevelop now, the engine i have worked with since the 90s is clickteam fusion and it's ancestors, but i am trying to migrate to open source stuff in general whenever it's possible for me to do so.

good luck to you. i look forward to seeing your game!

Thanks, minus dungeon games, I'll have to look into it. The coding language I'm learning now through a course on Udemy is Godot, which is a writing script that works especially well with 2d games, but can work with 3D games as well.