Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles

[Devlog!] Midnight in Suburbia

A topic by StellarB created Jan 05, 2016 Views: 228 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(+1)

MIDNIGHT IN SUBURBIA

"There's something breathing in the midnight darkness of Westview: exhaling into cracks in the pavement between flickers of the street lamp, arching above the thick oak trees. Coiled under the picnic tables in Mercer Park. It yawns wide and grins, tooth by tooth along every picket fence, knowing that here— in the heart of the civilized world— is the only undiscovered territory left on earth."

1/5/2016--

A month or two ago I wrote the beginning of a (sub)urban-fantasy story called "Midnight In Suburbia", and I ended up falling in love with the world enough that I decided to make a game of it for this jam. I recently had the pleasure of playing "We Know the Devil" (a visual novel I HIGHLY recommend, wow) so right now I've got visual novel-style games on the brain. I'm going to try and do this in Twine, since it's the program I find most intuitive and am most familiar with.

Visually, the plan is to take a page from WKTD's book and use real photographs for the backgrounds, and cartoon-style drawings for the characters. I'm going to have to go out and take photos of my local suburban area at night (night time photography /exasperated sigh) but I think it'll be good for the aesthetic I'm going for.

I'm not sure what to do about music/Twine 2 CSS, so if anyone is good at either of those I'd love a hand! I'm happy to help anyone with concept development/writing or whatever if you need help with that, too. My background is REALLY strong in writing/editing/story/characters so yeah. :)

Here's to a new game!

HostSubmitted(+1)

lysander can def give you advice about music AND twine stuff you lucked out!!! also aaa a hell i love wktd so i'm excited to see this!! best of luck friend :3c

Submitted (1 edit)

ooooh this sounds fantastic! Sub-urban fanstasy anything is my favorite genre for everything!

Can't wait to see more!

Submitted

*lurking and waiting for more updates of this game*