Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Can we take a second to congratulate ourselves on the first steps?

A topic by Karythina created Jan 03, 2016 Views: 397 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted(+5)

I'm bad at being motivational, but I wanted to get this out there but I've been thinking about it.

So as I'm typing this we're past the 24 hour mark on the jam, and while there's still a long way to go, a lot of us have done the monumental step of beginning the process, and I just want to say that's pretty incredible in and of itself.

Anyone else know that joke of "The Ideas Person"? The one that doesn't have much else but The Idea For A Game and execution is entirely someone else's problem? I've been like that. Maybe you have too. Maybe like me you have some ideas you've thought out so much you could do an imaginary playthrough in your head. Dozens of little scenarios you think would be so cool to show up in your game. Maybe your tastes, like mine, can be a little picky, so you have this idea fine-tuned into the exact sort of game you like to play.

But it never happened. It stayed in my head. Maybe one or two musings on how to do it before giving up. Maybe just not having the know-how was a turn-off immediately. Maybe creating things was something other people did.

I saw the Jam and joined, and honestly as the clock counted down to beginning I was regretting it. What am I doing? I don't make things. Making things is what other people do. Then it started and, well, here I go, I guess. I asked some questions. I read some tutorials. I started to get to work, thinking the entire time "this is going to be a stupid mess".

I ran my stupid mess and was surprised at the sheer excitement I felt. I played with it some more, learned new things, found a trick and immediately rushed to apply it in some way. By the end of this Day 1, I had some basic frameworks laid out, and I was having so much fun just messing with it. Someone joked I should add something, and so I did, then tested it and see it come to life. I was having a blast tweaking this and that, adding something for a touch (Oh, just had a good idea, I'll put some stuff in now when I get around to making it), sitting back and actually being able to play a miniature chunk of my "stupid mess".

And here I thought creating things was something other people did.

But I'm creating. I got past all the initial hurdles and now I'm in it. I've taken a step beyond Ideas Person, I'm actually going out and taking the action of creation. No longer just pie-in-the-sky ideas, they're potential goals and upcoming features now. I'm making a game.

And you're making one too! You're doing it! And we should celebrate that, whatever little bits and pieces that you have put together right now, you made them. That's your stuff right there. And that's pretty cool, don't you think?

(+2)

Yeah!! I totally agree with this.. like, I actually joined in really excited and i actually had an idea i've wanted to do for awhile now but I kinda put it off because of a lot of things, but mainly because I was trying to do something REALLY big and intricate and way over my head-- it kinda put myself off from doing it. But now, I have a reason to make something short, simple, and sweet so I decided to use the idea for this!

honestly i still don't have everything in what i plan to do but I got the basic gist of it and the details for me right now come later-- and this goes for everyone like dont beat yourself up about it not being super duper amazing, try to keep it fun for yourself and take breaks when you /feel/ bored of drawing/coding/etc. Good luck everyone!!

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

i love this post!!! i already tweeted it in the tag, but this is very much true!!! i personally do have a lot of drive to try things and do them, but i'm so bad at finishing them! and on top of that, i get so bogged down in the sheer number of ideas i have that i'm spending too little time with them all and not even close to enough on one... but the few things i have finished, i was so proud, even if they weren't particularly good— i was just happy that i saw something from start to finish, and was able to share it!

with that said, seeing this post makes me really, really happy, because it's so important to me that people discover the joy of creating... having ideas is fantastic, but the actual act of creating something physical— tangible —that other people can interact with, and sharing those ideas with them is so, so amazing. and because we're all so different, the exchange of ideas is so diverse and cool!!! it's like being able to see something from someone else's shoes, even if only for a little while. and the more people we have creating games, the more and more we get to see different possibilities, and maybe something that connects with others in a way you wouldn't expect

thank you for writing this up!!

Submitted(+1)

Funny story, I happened to go to a game making panel at a comics festival last year, I was interested in it and I took a bunch of notes about all the beginner's tools they mentioned. I promptly lost the sketchbook with all my notes (and lots of treasured memories ;__; ) and got busy with other stuff, but this game jam's been the perfect opportunity to dive right in! There's a time limit, but it's long enough for beginners (like me lol) to get their bearings and the restriction makes me want to work harder at finishing on time.

I agree with everything said above. Just getting started seems to be the hard part for a lot of things, IMO (looks at all the unfinished comic ideas gathering dust in my head haaaah), but I love reading through the devlogs here and I'm super excited to see all the finished games!

Hugs and smooches all around, we're gonna do great u3u