Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Devlog: Swift Strategies

A topic by ThatANonoWord created Jan 19, 2022 Views: 296 Replies: 27
Viewing posts 1 to 21
Submitted

Uh... Perhaps I should have made this sooner.

I plan to make a very miniaturized version of well known strategy RPG games, such as Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem. In this game, you start with a small amount of troops and continually get into fights against various opponents. Your units can promote after surviving multiple fights, becoming stronger than before.

I got a movement script finished! I can also easily make maps because I have a completed map builder, though I haven't actually made any proper maps. I have a few sprites created, though I am not an artist so I don't plan on making any sprite animations. Here are a few examples:

I already have a general plan of what my game looks like and how it will flow. Hopefully things will work out smoothly.

Thanks for reading!

(+1)

Nice! I like the name especially. How oriented is it going to be around strategy? And if the RPG elements don't come out well, than maybe you could convert it to a fantasy RTS (Real Time Strategy) game.

Submitted(+1)

Thanks! The strategy is supposed to be on a micro scale, such as positioning and thinking who to attack, as well as large scale strategy, since you constantly get new units and you have to think about your team composition.

Nice, sounds like an interesting project. Thanks for the feedback on my devlog btw

Submitted(+2)

Mom said it was my turn on the magic tome

Submitted

Next day, all character sprites have been finished. I need to get to making the attacking system for my game, as well as some UI components.

(+1)

I don't know if this is good or bad, but the character looks vaguely like Captain America or Mega Man.

Submitted(+1)

Hahaha, all of the characters use a mostly blue color palette to distinguish that they are your units. Opposing units will have similar sprites but red.

(+1)

Nice, I wouldn't have thought of that. It's a simple yet brilliant way to show enemies from friends, nice idea.

Also, now that I think more about it, using this basically just means you can recolor original sprites instead of creating new ones.

Submitted(+1)

Still working on the combat system...

I also worked a little bit on implementing the class system as well as the UI. After all of that, I'm planning testing with some sample battles, then get to work on making a map and then work on large-scale character information storage.

Submitted

After implementing the class system and having decent UI at the moment, I still haven't properly implemented moving or attacking, and I haven't worked on the turn-based part of this yet. Once moving and attacking are implemented, I'll finish on turn-based aspects, opponent AI, and end-of-game cutscenes/events.

This is going to be fun.

(+1)

Oh hell yeah, I love trpgs. The isometric view is great, definitely getting FFT vibes. Good luck! 

Submitted

Thanks! I love trpgs as well.

Submitted(+1)

I DID IT

The recording's quality is awful, but the damaging and healing mechanics are implemented! Turn passing and such has also been done! Now I'm going to focus on making the opponent's AI. Things are going great so far, hopefully nothing goes wrong...

Submitted

I actually kind of dig the small resolution of my gifs. Makes them feel like they're being played on a GBA.

Submitted (1 edit)

Also, attacks and heals can target anyone, friend or foe. I'm not sure why you would heal opponents, but since you have a limited amount of troops, you might want to "dispose of" the units you don't want.

(+1)

wow.  this is way better then mine

Submitted (1 edit)

OI! Don't compare yourself! Your games are great.

Submitted

I made AI. It's more A than I. I hate this so much

Submitted(+1)

This looks so good! The mechanics already look really solid.

Submitted(+1)

Sorry for the awful capture, but the AI is done! There's animations for when it's a character's turn, and there's also an indicator for your or opponent's upcoming turns. I've even dabbled a bit in making a save and load system. Now,  I'm working on making the game-over and win scenes, as well as making a system for the promotions of units and the hiring of new units.

(+1)

This game is going to be much better than mine!

Don't worry, I know this isn't a contest. You're making something awesome here. I would download and play this.

Submitted

It's done! You know promote units after they survive for 3 days and you hire a new unit every other day, assuming you don't hit the maximum of 7. Also started work on the main menu. Now I just need to make a few maps.

God I hate making maps.

Submitted

This is probably gonna be a soundless game by the looks of progress and my work.

Submitted

Four maps... It's all I can muster. After this is maybe attacking effects and finally playtesting. I'm gonna be real busy soon so, I better get to work.

Submitted

Going through a few processes of playing and ensuring no bugs exist. Then I might be able to add some attacking effects. Hopefully this game can be really good.

Submitted

AAAAAAAAAAAA

Attacking effects are being implemented, with sound and music following soon after (hopefully). TODAY IS THE DAY I CAN GIVE IT OUT TO PEOPLE FOR PLAYTESTING. Shouldn't have much bugs since I playtest it myself, but maybe others can find errors and bugs.

Submitted

Well... Nevermind. Turns out implementing a guide is kinda hard, huh? Music and sound hopefully finishes tomorrow, when I can send it out for playtesting.