SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Jinxzh - My First Game Jam

A topic by jinxzh created Jan 16, 2022 Views: 99 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+1)

Hello, everyone! 

My name is Suha and this is my first game jam! I didn't really know how to start my devlog until today, so that's that, but I'll try to update every day.

I'm a total beginner and have no experience making games, but I am a digital artist and have messed around with Ren'py before. I'm hoping to create a short, simple visual novel for the jam, but I'm mainly here to enjoy the process and learn more!

Yesterday I didn't get much done, but I began writing and figured out how to code all of the mechanics I want in my game (though that wasn't too hard because of how simple I'm going).

I'll probably update again this evening with today's progress!

Submitted(+2)

Day 2 done!

Today I decided to work on drawing a sprite. Since it's my first game, I limited myself to one character with just two expressions, and I attached an image on the progress so far!

It's definitely far from done- especially since I was indecisive about the pose and haven't drawn that yet. I'm also not totally happy with the coloring; it ended up a lot more realistic than I would've liked (especially the locs), so I may or may not change that tomorrow. 

I also drew and coded in a textbox for the game. (I decided to go with the Nature theme!!)

As for the actual storyline and script, I haven't made much progress since yesterday. It starts off pretty cliché, in that you, the player, wake up without any memories and have to figure out who/what/where you are. I plan on making it so that every time the player uncovers a new piece of information, they start their journey over again and have new choices/routes unlocked based on that information. I'm still figuring out how exactly to end the game, but that's the plan so far!

Overall, I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew, but even if I don't finish before the end of the jam, I think I'll be able to get a working prototype to submit.

That's it for today! 

Host

ADORE your character art so far, these expressions are so cute!! Also this nature textbox is so lovely! It feels simple, but still with a really careful attentive touch and perfectly suited to not be distracting. Hey, even if you have a prototype you can always continue working beyond the jam if you'd like!