Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Europe rescue! - six days fully playable alpha

A topic by godai78 created Jan 16, 2022 Views: 263 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted (4 edits) (+1)

Sooo, here it is. My first game jam, my third game (only one was released finished, tho). It’s a long story as “Europa rescue!” is, in fact, a scaled-down and demade idea for a video game I once wrote a treatment for, called “Action on Altair” which depicted the player trying to repair a defunc space station. The idea was based on the evens on Salyut 7 - a dead soviet space station in the ’80s. Years later I wrote a short novel titled “Half the Sky” (collected in my 2020 book “The Cold Starlight”) starring two female cosmonauts - a Polish and a Chinese - trying to rescue the titular Europa international orbit base.

And so here it is. The initial demo sports the intro sequence and the first three tasks - prepare your spaceship for docking, dock the space station and enter it.

Coming next will be: restore power, repair the station’s own power supply, run the oxygen generator, and contact mission control. I think I may not be able to bring all that during the jam, but I’ll try.

The graphic design is prone to change in several places, so disregard it for now :)

https://godai78.itch.io/europa-rescue

Submitted

And the spaceship controls have been replaced with SOME graphics instead of just placeholders. Also the ride to launchpad has been shortened and the car has been redone.

Submitted

Days Zero and One have been closed and are fully functional (even if some minor changes to the game mechanisms or graphics may still occur). The new version was released for browsers.

Submitted

Here we, yesterday’s update brings in five playable tasks to accomplish. This means the end is near for the MVP version (two more levels, probably).

Submitted(+1)

I spent the better part of the last few days eliminating several stubborn sprite bugs from the ready part. It wouldn’t be possible without the massive help I got from community beta testers - thanks to every single one of you, people!

I’m not starting to work on the last day on board and then an outro cutscene.

Not sure if I can make it on time - probably be short by one day, especially since I’m going on holiday on Monday, but I will try to at least make Day 06 and the finale placeholder.

Been one hell of gamemaking. Feels good, man!

Submitted

And here it is, two more levels available - Day 06 and preparing the space station for the coming crew, and if you were lucky and nosy enough to find the famous Nintendo handheld in the cargo, a bonus level.

It means there is just the final day (mostly cutscenes) to do and the game will enter the beta stage before some final bug fixes and amendments.

This is as close to the full story experience as possible, now, so give it a try!