Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Aspen: Last Stand

A topic by theioti created Jan 15, 2022 Views: 144 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted(+1)

Hey fellow jammers! Hope your first day is going better than mine is, lol. I had big hopes of having a bunch of time to get a foothold, but regular old weekend chores soaked up most of my day so mostly it's been squeezing in some planning in the gaps and getting through a couple Godot tutorials.

My starting goal was to make something resembling a roguelike, and after the theme was announced I decided on a 2D top-down game where you play as a sort of dryad in a forest recovering sunlight from these monsters that are stealing it. Also it let me have a pun in the title, so.

Anyway, I made a breakdown of everything I could think of that I wanted and broke that down into minimum viable product and stretch goals. Some of these are very oversimplified because something like artwork would be a whole list in itself. Last time I was a lot more organized and had a timeline plan, but maybe that'll be tomorrow? MVP goals in bold, stretch goals follow in descending order of priority.

• Eight way movement
  • One melee attack > Dodge > A second melee attack > Block
  • Player health (can be upgraded) with dying
  • Player damage (can be upgraded)
  • One enemy type > A second enemy type > A boss
  • Home base level where you can buy upgrades
  • Randomized levels with different layouts and obstacles > Environmental hazards > Animal NPCs
  • Sunlight currency for persistent upgrades > Moss currency for temporary upgrades
  • Artwork and animations > You know, like, good artwork and animations
  • Music > Dynamic music
  • SFX
  • Title screen
  • Credits

So that's the idea, anyway. Probably too ambitious, but honestly trying to force myself to start smaller would probably be more stressful. We'll see how things go once I start getting my hands dirty, but I'm hopeful after the tutorials I've gotten through. Godot seems like a really good fit for me, and coming from Unity makes a big difference. Good luck everyone!

Submitted(+1)

Good luck! I like the idea of playing as a druid, will be hoping to play it!

Host(+1)

Love how you broke down MVP and reach goals. This is really awesome to see! Looking forward to seeing this!

(+1)

Nice! I'm making a roguelike/dungeon crawler too, and it's coming along well. I think it's cool how we seem (at first glance) to be working on similiar games.

Submitted

Thanks for the replies! And sorry I've been so checked out but, well, things have not gone great for the first week. I haven't had as much time as I hoped to work on my game and mostly I've been going through tutorials to get the hang of the basics, but I do have a little bit done. For the player I've got movement, one attack, and a dodge/dash move. I've got a test level set up with some bushes and walls to collide with, and I've got one enemy type that doesn't do anything yet but stand there and get killed. All of which is represented by extremely ugly placeholder artwork which I am very embarrassed by but was still going to post up, but for some reason my images don't seem to be uploading right. Hopefully I'll make another post in here before the whole rest of the jam goes by and I can show something. Maybe I'll even have less ugly artwork by then!

While I'm pretty sad and a little stressed I haven't had more time to get my game into shape, that biggest bummer has been because I have so little time I've barely done anything on here or in the Discord, which was the best part about the last time I was in this jam. I hope I can scrape out some more time to get a chance for that in week two. I'm still loving getting to see everyone's ideas come together, even if it's just in a few seconds here and there!