Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Dev Log] Wordy Penguins

A topic by The Lame Brain created Jan 25, 2020 Views: 284 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted(+1)

Did you know Penguins love letters? They do! Especially if they are shiny! Get the penguins to collect letters for you, then use them to make words and score points! Fishy!

Host

oh nice! i'm curious to see how the mechanic of how words are fetched and created.

Submitted(+1)

[UPDATE 1/27/20]

been a bit slow going as I have spent the whole weekend on a train or in a hotel room. Finalized the design with my Wife and Son. Also got penguins animated! 

behold:

Idle Penguin

subtle sway as it stands

Penguin Walk
I love the side-to-side drift as it walks

penguin Spin
not sure yet when they will spin, but I had to include it. My wife thinks it is cute!

Penguin Dive
This is when they dive in the water.
Submitted(+1)

New Screen Grab!

Big fan of the look of this game. The idea is really charming too.

Submitted

[1/28/2020]

Added camera control today, and made my game-board flexible in size. You can now input 10 "seed words" that I will scramble and hide amongst the random letters on the board. Then your penguins will stack up in the columns to collect letters, and those are the letters you use to form words and score points!

In general, the less common a letter is in the English language, the more points you score for using it, (like Scrabble,) however, If you collect multiples of a single letter, then each use of that letter scores bonus points.

Should have a rough version in a playable state in a couple of days, then I can start cleaning it up and balancing it.

Host

hhh these animations are so charming!! i can't wait to see how the gameplay looks!

Submitted(+1)

This legitimately feels like something I would've spent way too much time playing on Neopets back in the day. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Host

omg i couldn't put this in words but i get the exact same feeling!!

Submitted

I have been very busy on this project, Almost have a rough but playable version ready. Good news! My Wife thinks its cute! That means I have nearly completed my objectives!

Submitted

Ok, submitted! https://the-lame-brain.itch.io/wordy-penguins

This is a pretty rough version. I am going to keep polishing on it, give it animations, sound, the ability to recognize when what you submit is not an actual word....

if you are interested, check back later at the above link to download an improved version!