Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[ ! ] Pre-jam Introductions & Questionnaire! Sticky

A topic by lysander created Jan 28, 2019 Views: 1,477 Replies: 23
Viewing posts 5 to 24 of 24 · Previous page · First page
Submitted

1. Hi there! What's your name? Want to introduce yourself?

Hoi ! Y'all can just call me by my username, Azurama. Baware of me because I'm French, so I apologize in advance for all my future grammatical mistakes, spelling mistakes and many other mistakes.

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?

I wasn't here at the last game jam. I join for quite many reasons. First, I hesitate to do my further studies in a video game field, so with that game jam I will know if I really want to create video games ! Secondely, I and a bunch of my friends want to make a video game but none of us have experience  in that, so it's a good occasion for me to make some !

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

I love a lot of games but my all time favourite is Okami ! I love everything in this game, but mostly the viusals, the musics and the original gameplay ! The other games that inspire me are mostly independants games, like Undertale or One Shot.

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

I... have made the tutorial game of Game Maker... And a Pong on Processing but this one isn't really an engine... Let's just say that I don't really have experience with game development !

6. What are your goals for this game jam?

I will try to do a little protoype, because at this time of the year I have school and it's not really optimal if I want to do a complete game. And I will try to not die !

Submitted

Hello there! My surname is sipsop and my real name is Edgar.  English is not my native language so, in advance, sorry for the engrish spelling or grammar mistakes i could have.

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?

Haven't participated in any jam. So i plan to do anything better and the main point is: participate, and finish a playable game/demo for others to recieve feedback (and  become famous XD of course)

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

I like rpg and simulation, i love survival games (not zombies please we're full of zombie games) and i enjoyed the old fashioned style date games.

I have some favorites, sure, i like harvest moon, old series (for those who don't know where the stardew valley came from it was harvest moon) of course i love zelda titles (not everyone, but most of them) chrono trigger, the sims 2 and 3 and civilization style games.

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

I used to make engines and scripts for rpgmaker xp from a long time ago, haven't never used any of the latest engines of that series and started learning other languages and using another engines. I haven't finished any project but a small game emulating a board game. Instead i have done tons of small engines and scripts as i said before. As you might guess by now the problem is i start a lot of ideas, and never finish any of them, i think now it's the time to end this and finish a proyect, also i don't plan to make it on that engine, but learn and use another one, to increase the challenge!

5. Tell us about something you're passionate about!

CREATE THINGS. Write songs, painting, making sprites, engines, sculptures in maché, acting, making scale layouts, writing theatre scores... everything that i can create i love to do.

Publish a decent playable demo, i don't want to invent the wheel, making something enjoyable, even if is very primitive or simple, it's ok.

Submitted

Hey everyone ! My name is Thomas , and I'm from France !

I've never participated in any jam ever ! So MyFirstGameJam is... my first game jam ! I join this jam because I think that a 14 days jam is a good start,enough time to  develop an idea, make some mistakes, learn new things along the way and still be able to finish a little project (I hope so..) , so why not !

I like a lot of  games, from console games like Zelda and Mario to competitive online PC games, but my love will always be with retro and indie games. I think that Zelda A link to the past is why I'm here today !

I recently left my job to start developing games on my own. So I have never released any game for now , but  I'm working on my first project, made with game maker studio 2.

This jam is the opportunity to make a project from start to finish with a real deadline, to work on something fresh, even if it's just an idea, and maybe , start working on it more seriously if the feedback is positive ! And of course, this is the place to meet people with the same passions and goals !

My name is Miguel A. Pimentel, I'm a web designer that is taking classes at college to become a web developer. I've also run tabletop rpg games since before I knew they were called that. :) I do a bit of writing at my A Red Panic WordPress blog. I've also got a website but it's currently down for a full overhaul. I'll probably add it to my profile or something when I get it back up.

I've never participated in a game jam before. I did run a class for homeschool kids where we designed and printed board games. I wanted to join because I want to get into making games but lack the focus right now to do it on my own. I like the time limit and the social aspect of game jams. Eventually, I would like to participate in game jams in person.

I've long been a fan of the Final Fantasy and Fallout (including 1 & 2) series. These days I can't invest time in them like I used to. I'm hoping to be inspired by games like fallout Shelter, Democracy and xcom.

I have read and followed developments in the video game industry for a long time. I've made plenty of modifications to Fudge and then Fate tabletop systems. I've played a bit with Twine and Construct 2 but haven't completed anything useful. I've picked up resources for Unity in a hopeful bit of dreaming but, I'm nowhere near that yet.

I love telling stories! I also really like reading and learning about interactive systems and emergent complexity.

To actually finish a working prototype!

Good luck to everyone and I hope we all have fun.

My name is Miguel, and I'm new to game jams. I am kinda nervous, so I'm hoping that writing this up will help my nerves. 

I didn't participate in the last game jam, but I have been looking for beginner level game jams for a little bit! This one seemed pretty cool, so I decided to join.

I have a ton of games I will always enjoy, but a short list follows:

Portal - The portal series was great, and even now I occasionally go back and replay it. It's a series close to me, as one of the first video games I played.

Monster Prom - While I don't really get to play monster prom often, it's still one of my favorite games. It was well made, with fun characters and every story line was interesting. My favorite characters in it are Damien Lavey and Liam De Lioncourt. This is the most likely game you'll see the influences of in my submission.

I don't really have much experience. I have a lot of unfinished games in renpy or python, but nothing major.

I play D&D regularly, and run two D&D campaigns. It's a very, very fun hobby.

My goal is to make a minimum of a prototype for a dating sim with the NPCs of one of the D&D campaigns that I run.

Submitted(+1)

I'm Sardines! I'm gonna make a gaaaaame~

I did not participate in the last jam! In fact, I've never done this before O.o

I want to make a good game someday, and I figure I've gotta start somewhere! I've done little practice bits before, but I'm determined to get something finished here.

I like a bunch of games. The Last Of Us is freaking phenomenal (I'm so bad at those sorts of games though, I'm still still struggling through it). I'm most inspired by Stardew Valley... it's not so fancy, but there are so many ideas crammed into one in-game day. I'd like to make something with that effect.

Uhh... I made an Asteroids game in Swing with Java, then a maze game with JavaFX. Don't make games with JavaFX, kids.

Other than that I've done a bit with Python and some with Game Maker Studio. Sometime soon I want to try working with Unity.

I'm a math person! Don't @ me. Polyhedra are cool. Someday I want to harness the power of video games to convert a generation of small children into unwitting geometry nerds.

My goals are just to get something small but  functional finished! I also want to figure out how to do music for my game.

I'm so excited to try this! I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with, too. See yall around!

Hello everyone! My name is Anton. I've been passionate about video games since the first time I saw one. I believe it was 1993, but I might be mistaken, I was around 3 years old back then :)

It is the first time I heard about it. I wanted to try out godot and learn how to use Linux a little (I had a love-hate relationship with the system so far). I really appreciate the open source software but don't get to use it, mostly due to the practical reasons. Hope it will change after this jam.

I love Resident Evil and Legacy of Kain series (mostly Soul Reaver 1).

I shipped two games. Both of them were developed in Unity. I've been using unity for about 6 years now.

GAAAAMES!

To use only open source software, including OS, To learn godot, develop a prototype (at the very least).

Hi everyone I'm Zeelyrules, 15 yo, french

I didn't get to participate to the last jam. I joined because I like creating small games and I landed here while looking for game jams.

I can't choose a single game to be my favorite but I've been playing Nintendo games for quite a few years now and I'm always enjoying them.

I tried doing a little platformer on gamemaker for the GGJ from last week but then I got stopped by the free trial object count limit.

I'm very curious so I'm interested in everything I approach^^ I've been playing classical guitar for 10 years now and I try to learn some coding languages since a couple of years.

I will try to understand the basics of Unity and make a functioning game with some complete levels and original music!

Heyoo, I'm kitkat nice to meet'cha. I've been arting a lot and i love games but i haven't done any and i'm just learning how to properly code stuff. Also I'm from Colombia!

Nop! This is my first jam ever. I just wanted an excuse to actually finish a project instead of having a pile of unfinished projects and ideas floating around.

I have a wide variety of games i enjoy, but I lean the most towards more visual-novel, detective-like games, kind of like Ace Attorney, Danganronpa or Ookami Game. I also really enjoy colorful and distinctive character designs and I'm an avid mobage gamer (I spend way too much time in games like enstars, bandori and dream!ing). Ever since i starter playing visual novels I've wanted to convey interesting stories through one of them; specially after playing TnC, DMMd and Omerta. 

I tried to make a fangame a while ago on Ren'Py. I managed to make one full route, doing the coding, writing the script and drawing the sprites/CGs.

I like languages, programming, and enjoy both playing mobages and rping online.

I want to actually challenge backgrounds for once since I'm lacking in that. And I want to have a prototype that can be playable and that is actually finished. Just do my best and learn new stuff so I can use that knowledge in future games I'm planning. Hopefully this game can be a part of that -like a first chapter maybe.

Submitted

1. What's your name? Want to introduce yourself?

Hello there everyone ! My nickname on here is Just Gilloo, or Gilloo for short (pronounced as Jilloo, like boo~!). I'm a Belgian-French  20 years old university student. 

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If not, what's your reason for joining?

I did not participate in the last game jam. I decided to join after a lot of hesitation and a being scared because I've been wanting to make the ability to design my own videogames a reality ever since I was exposed to them as a child. And this seems like the perfect starting point to learn and discover how to do exactly that.

3. What games are your favourite? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

I play a lot of different games, I'm pretty much open to give any game a chance. No matter the genre. Although a lot of my fondest gaming memories were linked to Nintendo games. I think the 3 genre of games who left the biggest impression on me ever since I was a kid are platformers, RPG's and Metroidvania styled games. To this day they are the 3 types of games I tend to play and enjoy the most. 

Some of the most influential platformers I played are Klonoa (I dream of making a spiritual successor to this underrated series one day), the early Sonic games on the Sega Megadrive and of course the platforming king himself Mario.

My favourite RPG games (and series) of all time are Dragon Quest, Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire Emblem.

4. Do you have any experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

I fiddled around a bit with game engines like Game Maker Studios, Unity and Godot in the past in an attempt to learn myself how to code and make games. Sadly I always gave up after a while because of how daunting and intimidating it is.

5. Tell us something you're passionate about!

Games (obviously), music (I play a lot of guitar, piano and flute in my free time) and literature/writing/languages are my 3 biggest passions in life I would say.

My biggest goal for this game jam is to finally have the courage to go for it and learn myself the basics of code and game design (and everything that comes with it) to kickstart my journey into one day realising my dream. Meeting and sharing experiences with other likeminded people starting out like myself is one of the biggest reasons I decided to get past my initial fear and stress and just go for it and have fun along the way. And of course, like everyone participating I hope to be able to deliver some kind of prototype or partly finished product at the end of this. But no matter the result I'm sure it'll be a great learning experience.

Submitted (2 edits)

I go by Alaris, Alarikun, or Tom IRL.  29 year old hobbyist game-maker at the moment.  I hope to one day advance to more serious game making, but for now, I will jam!

I didn't participate in the last one, but I did participate in MFGJ Winter 2017 (so, almost 2 years ago).

I want to get back into jamming, and I have a few ideas.  My goal is to make something simple.  Something fun.

Final Fantasy Tactics is my absolute favorite, and I would totally make a game in that style one day if I could.  

Very limited experience; I've made 2 prototypes in gamemaker for previous jams, but that's about it.  I'm a programmer at heart, and have little to no skill in any of the other facets of game-makery.

Gaming and Writing in general.  I'm great at gaming, subpar at writing... but I'm passionate about both!  Maybe one day I'll combine my passions... you'll see an epic visual novel created by Alaris out there!

See question 2:  I want to make something simple, ideally fun, to help me get back into jamming.  It's been almost 2 years since I've done anything with it, and I remember having so much fun back then.

For Returning Jammers:

7. Any advice to new participants?

Realistically, set your sights low.  Do not plan to make your perfect game over the next 2 weeks.  Plan to make something playable, and to learn a lot.  That's what we're all here to do!

8. What can the admins do to improve your jam experience?

Nothing that I can think of.

9. What are some of the past works you've made for the jam? Show off your favorites!

Umm, I made 2 for jams in the past.  I wouldn't call them 100% finished, but I learned a lot from both of them:

Cat in a BoxMy first game (if you don't count something made off of a python tutorial years ago), Cat in a Box was a simple game about picking up cats and putting them in boxes.  I made it for MFGJ Winter 2017.  [Secretly, my goal for this jam is to make the original vision I had for this game... but don't tell anyone :P ]

Duels of AetherMy second game, made for Betajam 2.  This is a game I collaborated with 2 other people on, to create a Active Time Battle RPG-esque game.  It's far from finished, and the difficulty curve is definitely... well, it leaves something to be desired.  It was very fun to make, though, and I learned a ton.

Submitted (1 edit)

My name is Héctor although everybody knows me by Fideo, I'm a 3d artist with a focus on modular and procedural approaches.

I did not participate, my reason for joining is to get more confortable with game development and to translate my ideas from paper to the monitor more efficiently while working with others.

Pathologic:  it was the first game that the character felt as such they had their motivations their points of view and they would trust you more or less depending on who you were playing as.

Left 4 dead 2: I love the level design in this one and the versus more it's the most fun I ever had in a videogame.

Silent hill 2: The moody atmosphere the story telling of the characters their flaws their bagage their pain it was all perfectly portrait in this game.

Deadly premonition: Love it or hate it but it is such a bizarre game the uncanny animated eyes the weird jazz music it create a feeling of disconfort only matched by eraserhead .

Both with unity and Unreal engine basic stuff such us how to import assets, how to create material, collision etc, I also had some minor visual language experience.

Passionate about creating an interesting space for players to explore to evoke a sense of mystery and discomfort like something is off but you cannot tell exactly what until it is to late, I have a focus for multiplayer experiences and vr, I made some small experiements on vr chat.

Get to meet equals and develop a playable small game those are my focus.

you can join my team here : https://crowdforge.io/jams/myfirstgamejam-winter2019/teams/3031

Submitted

Hello! I'm Alex! I just finished a PhD and now I'm unemployed!

I did the jam before last (Winter 2018), but I got stopped in my tracks when my computer broke. That shouldn't be a problem this time?

I like puzzly games like Deadly Rooms of Death, which I'm planning to take inspiration from (rip off) for my game jam entry.  Undertale and Night in the Woods are other big favourites - I love the personality that comes through in their writing.

I've poked around a few different engines, but GameMaker Studio 1.4 is the one I'm most confident with currently. I used it for my last game jam, and I'll most likely use it for this one too.  

Right now, I'm getting back into books! I don't read as much as I feel like I should, so I've started reading some old classics. Just finished Les Miserables, which is  a brilliant story and a fascination exploration of just about every facet of French culture and history in the 19th century, but also really damn long.

Get something working! I'm aiming to create a game engine which I can build on easily, even if I don't end up with a complete game, and I'd also like to learn how to work with save data in case I want to expand my project into something long-form.

I'm not a very organised person, but I found that keeping to a schedule helped enormously - setting aside a couple of hours a day to implement something helps you feel like you're making progress. Also, even if you're really shy like I am, making a devlog is a good idea. The community was really kind to me during my last jam!

Nothing I can think of!

9. What are some of the past works you've made for the jam? Show off your favorites!

For My First Game Jam Winter 2018, I started making a puzzle RPG prototype. I never made much more progress than this, because I ended up having kind of a stressful 2018, and now I want to start from scratch because the code is difficult to extend and leaves a lot to be desired! Hopefully what I learn from this game will feed into my second attempt at this.

(1 edit)

1. I'm Cam. Hi!

2. I've done this a few times but I don't get much time to do game dev so every time feels like the first time. I wasn't going to do this but it's probably going to be my only creative outlet for a long time.

3. I love a heap of game types, it's hard to narrow it down. I've never played an Assassin's Creed game though.

4. I've used Unity so that's what I'll be sticking to here. My main aims are to improve my game design (core game loop) and programming.

5. I'm passionate about UX and I hold Shigeru Miyamoto's quote "A great idea solves multiple problems at the same time." in high regard.

6. My goals are to keep scope waaaaay down and submit something, even if it's trash (narrator: it will be).

7. Biggest advice for anyone of any skill level is to keep cutting your idea down. Just keep cutting the cruft away until you have a fraction of the original idea and then do that. Edit: Make a browser version of your game if the engine makes it easy. You'll get way more players try it out with a low barrier.

8. This jam has a great community so I'm not sure what could be done to improve it. The only thing I can think of that may help newer people is having the theme announced a day before the jam starts to alleviate some of the pressure when it starts.

9. I think it was the last one I made Drizzle Dash, which is my most complete game jam to date. I spent a little more time on the graphics and had a complete game loop. I think I got that much done because I whittled the idea down to something stupidly simple.

Hi everyone!, my name is Iván and I really like videogames

I haven't participated before, I joined this jam because im always trying to make a game, but never get anything done, si this might be the time I actually do something.

My favorite game series are Kirby and Pokémon, I specially enjoy platforming games, so I might try to do one

Nope, I have explored Unity, but never get to make anything playable

I'm a fan of space themes, and also cartoons and animation!

Make something playable, at least one level or something :v

Hello, world! My name is Olyvier and it's my first game jam.

No

I'm fascinated by the deep lore and the exploration in games such as Portal 2, The Stanley Parable, Dwarf Fortress and Half Life. This jam I'm going to create some vocabulary sandbox (aka Scribblenauts), I won't be using those inspirations yet.

Yes, but there are lots and lots of unfinished projects that most were deleted under the week after abandon. Including some text adventures.

Beyond most of by huge interests list, "0x10c" is one that stayed in my heart since ~2014. Basically, it was a retro space sandbox about some retro computer developed during 2012 and suspended since 2013. Sad considering it jointed vintage computing, dying universe space and sandbox themes.

Start and most importantly finish a playable game out of my college spare time. I would love to use some Common Lisp but I'm not ready for anything like so yet.

Want to introduce yourself?

hi, we are hazelle a husband wife dev team :3 

im ixchel the wife 😎 n hes hazy the noob 😘

we have both tinkered w several rpg maker projects in the past, unfortunately nothing completed and mostly defunct demos.

yall we wna actually finish the thing, lol

earthbound, final fantasy 6, romancing saga 3, the lunar series (all consoles all versions) sega cd is best tho, the lufia series (lets be honest its the same thing) traditional jrpgs i promise weve played them all!

yep rpg maker 2000, 2006, xp, vx

i really luke to draw n hazy luvs 2 play starcraft :3

something to show at the end of it that resembles at least the bare bones of a game.

Submitted

Hello! My name is Caleb, and I have ambitions of working in the games industry in the near future.

If it was the summer one, then yes I did! It was a great experience. However the one thing I will do better this time is spend more time on my project (within the time that is allowed), I will also try to produce a better polished product (if possible, but I will aim for that!)

Animsl Crossing is my all time favourite game. I also love Halo , Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Sonic and Mario Kart! These games alone didn't inspire me to make games, but they definitely contributed to that (except for Sonic and Halo, they really inspire me)

I currently use GameMaker Studio 2, but I am currently learning how to use other engines such as Godot (and maybe Unity/UE4). However I use GMS2 for game jams due to the ease of use and its ability to let me create 2D prototypes and tests quickly.

Space, gotta love space, and history. And obviously video games.

To produce another game and make something different to my last entry for 'My First Game Jam' (and to try some form of  basic sprite animation if possible.)

For returning jammers:

Use your time effectively and don't rush it!

Not sure, the experience was very good last time.

Pebblet - This was my entry into 'My First Game Jam' (Summer 2018). You play as a drop of water, and dodge pebbles to survive (very basic game and my first entry into any game jam).

'Present' Arms! - This was my entry into the last 'Extra Credits Game Jam' (#2 I believe?). You present arms to a present so he can present arms! (the theme was 'Present', see where I'm going with this?) Or face off against a friend in the two player shooter minigame!

That's all from me, Good luck with the jam everyone (I am late to the party, about 3 days late lol).

Hello! I'm Katie, or adanteallegro! I'm primarily a tutor for a couple of middle schools and an online teacher, teaching English to students living in China! Nice to see you all again!

The last jam I took part in here was the Winter Jam 2017. I'm mostly just planning on finishing another game, right now, I just want to focus on finishing more things.

My top top favorite games are the Paper Mario Series, the Animal Crossing Series, the Pokemon Series and Undertale! Initially, I became interested in game design after reading the Undertale art book and seeing how everything was put together. It really showed me that anyone can make a game. I wanted to make a game too!

So far, I have made two complete games: one in Game Maker and one in RPG Maker VX Ace. For the Game Maker game, I made it for a previous My First Game Jam. For the RPG Maker game, I made it for a Yume Nikki Jam!

Lately I've been REALLY into crocheting! It's very therapeutic and I find that I can get into the zone of things pretty quickly. Plus, I can make a bunch of cute stuffed animals with it!

It's...mostly just to game my game done and out there. I'm not planning on making it perfect. I often set incredibly ambitious goals in the vast majority of my creative projects, and as a result, nothing gets done. I want to change that, finishing one project at a time.

Make a schedule! Time management is your best friend in this. Figure out what you want to get done each day. What days are best for you to get programming done? How about art? Music? If you chunk up your time like this, then you can get a lot more done, rather than flying by the seat of your pants.

Give me a high-five. o/

Rise to the Top, Cinnaroll! is my very first finished game, made for My First Game Jam Winter 2017. You are a coach, scheduling training for a sassy cinnamon roll athlete in order to get ready for the Bakeoff Olympics! The primary inspiration for this game is the Princess Maker series.

Nice to be back in this!

Submitted (1 edit)

1. My name is jonas, and i'm a new developer for c#.

2. No i didn't participate in the last game.

3. beatsaber and tales of escape i think. nope!

4. not much. c#.

5. Gamming, Gymnasticks.

6. submiting a good game. 

Viewing posts 5 to 24 of 24 · Previous page · First page