Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Little Room: Snacktime

A topic by Omulette created Jan 08, 2017 Views: 326 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
(+3)

While I've made sure to keep the Little Room tumblr active for the jam, it completely slipped my mind to make devlog updates here (oops!).

"Little Room: Snacktime"

Quick Pitch: It's the Autumnal Equinox, and the only things standing between you and a delicious slice of shortcake are your sister's puzzle challenges. Complete them to claim your well-deserved prize!

Genre: Exploration & Puzzle-based RPG

Game Engine: RPGMaker MV

Assets: Custom pixel-style sprites, tilesets, music, and sound effects

I might dive into more detail on the tumblr than I will on here, but feedback is ALWAYS appreciated (and probably works better in a forum environment)!

(+3)

Day 1 (playing catch-up)

Vesta, our playable pumpkin gal, is ready for clothes!

And her room's wall and floor tiles are in order.

Also have a working BGM track for the bedroom, and re-familiarized myself with some event creation aspects. It's not a lot, but I think it's a decent start.

Next Steps:

• Clothed sprite for Vesta
  • Furniture assets (Vesta's bedroom)
  • Testing more complex events
  • Flavor/Dialogue text

Wow, I'm loving those sprites! And the theme of the game sounds so pleasant. Looking forward to seeing some of the puzzles!

Host

wow really cute sprite + tilesets so far! looking forward to seeing more of them!

(+2)

Day 2

I'm so slow at making sprites. Thankfully there won't be too many for me to handle.

Vesta now has a cute outfit:

And her room is coming along. (I'm not sure how I feel about the green. Might change it to wood since the green is a tad artificial.)

It also clashes with the pink tones of her wallpaper, now that I think about it.

Other progress bits from today...

• Outfit change event is up and running
  • Formulating flavor text for the bedroom
  • Brainstorm-stage: implementing puzzles

I'll make some GIFs starting tomorrow. Games really come alive when you see them in motion!

Next Steps:

• Vesta's Bedroom: puzzles
  • Hazel's letter
  • Misc. tweaks to current furniture assets (green --> wood, add clutter)
  • Hallway: finalized floor/wall tiles & furniture
(+2)

Day 3

It was a slow day of work. I've been having some trouble falling asleep for the past couple days so I doubt that's helping.

Either way, progress was made. Not monumental, but I think I can finally say that Vesta's room is VERY close to done.

I did change up the awkward green. Lots of brown, but I hope it's easier on the eyes. Vesta's hobbies are more fashion-oriented, so I gave her some items related to that.

Hazel's letter now has some physical form, too. (Might come back to it if there's time.)

Action shots? Yep! Made some GIFs so that the animation and whatnot stand out.

The outfit-change transition is a little more natural now.

I'll need to do some more research into how I actually add Hazel's Letter into your inventory so you can access the hint. I was burning out a bit trying to figure it out, so I figure it's a Google search/implementation for tomorrow.

Other work from today includes some practice for music composition. Nothing solid besides the bedroom theme yet. I like listening to music, but always run into issues when I try to make it myself.

Next Steps:

• Get item collection for inventory in working order
  • Make more progress on the hallway & other map tiles
  • Play around with puzzles, already!