Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] The Mountain Under the Moon (??)

A topic by DestryHawk created Jan 07, 2017 Views: 476 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(+3)

Hi! I'm Kim, but I also go by Destry and this is uh... my second My First Game Jam! I'm trying some new things this time.

Concept

An illustrated, text-based choose-your-own-adventure story about a lost dog in the wilds, trying to survive and find their way back to their human.

Game Engine

I'm hoping to use Unity for the first real time, but until I get better grips on this, I'll probably be prototyping in Twine.

------

Day 1 progress (so far!)--

So I've decided that I want the game to be a series of trials that you come across while making your way up the mountain. I sketched up a mock-up map of what some of these trials could be and how they're laid out (which looks really bad and I don't intend on sharing in its current state, oops!)

Also, here is a rough sketch of our protagonist!

I intend to clean it up a little bit, but I want to leave all of the art fairly rough.

My plan for the rest of day 1-- plan out the trials more thoroughly, maybe start making some of the actual illustrations?

Plan for day 2-- start the actual writing, and continue learning Unity to prepare for building the final product.

Host(+1)

ooo this is a really cute concept for a game! there's actually a tool for translating twine games into unity--i don't have it on hand atm but you can find it on our resource post!

Ooooh, I didn't know about that! I'll definitely check it out, thank you!

(+2)

Day 2 progress-

So, things are going a little slow so far, and I haven't been able to get too much done this weekend.

I didn't do much on this today, but I have been working on writing in Twine. There are a lot of paths to explore, and I still need to figure out what my minimum is here, to keep it from getting overwhelming for this timeframe. Here's a schematic of what I have so far, but it's far from complete!

I'll see what else I can get done before tonight is over. In the meantime, here's a small additional little illustration I did last night.

i love your concept and the visuals you're working with so far! your style has a really pleasant softness to it, and a CYOA in unity would be super cool. i'm excited to see more of this game!