SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[ ! ] Mid-jam Playtesting! (Sat-Mon) Sticky

A topic by lysander created Jul 29, 2023 Views: 1,404 Replies: 55
Viewing posts 1 to 22
Jam Host(+1)

Mid-jam Playtesting!

Hi everyone! Having a good jam so far? On Saturday, July 29th through Monday, July 31st, we'll be having our mid-jam playtesting event as usual. Take a moment to see where you're at, and get to a point where you're comfortable sharing your game if you decide to participate! 

It's okay if you don't have your game done— you can still show us what you have so far! Doing this is optional, but we encourage you to post! We also HIGHLY encourage you to check out games with no feedback; let your fellow jammers know you're cheering them on!

If you'd like to participate, please post here with the following information. You may add or remove parts as needed:

Game Title/URL: Self-explanatory.  Link your game here. 

Pitch/Information: A short description of the game.

I'd like feedback on: You can put a list, questions, or description of what you would like critique on. Can be "anything!" if you're not looking for anything specific.

I need help on: If you have a specific problem or bug that you would like help or advice with solving, put it here!

Have fun, and don't forget to play each other's games!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Game Title/URL: https://ademk.itch.io/victory-and-respect

Pitch/Information: War game that is about the "cycle" topic

I'd like feedback on: if it is interesting, nice to play and etc. 

I need help on: what should I change and what should I keep

The idea is actually really cool not gonna lie. Once i think i maybe had a bug? i just couldnt shoot for some reason while i had 11 bullets, no idea but i respawned as the blue one again so its fine :))

(+1)

Game Title/URL: https://statuemarki.itch.io/phantom-lens-chapter-1

Pitch/Information: A horror game in an abandoned hotel with a lot of story behind it. (Now has different difficulties!)

I'd like feedback on: What you liked and didn't like. +What I could do better. Be honest, I want to really make it a fun experience.

I need help on:  if it is fun and exciting to play.

honestly i dont get it, even after reading README file i have no idea what im doing and why. on the first night i was just walking straight for quite a bit of time and then suddenly switched to night 2 i guess? and well i was just doing random stuff until i gave up. I just dont get it

Submitted

Game Title/URL: Kill Rock 'n' Roll

Pitch/Information: You're an electronic musician using your synthesized sounds to evade power chords and electric basslines in order to kill rock and roll.

Level design and polish are still very lacking, for now (saving that for the second week).

I'd like feedback on:

1. Is the sound effect volume (only in level 2 so far) too loud, too quiet, or just fine?
  2. Is anything confusing, hard to figure out, or surprising?
  3. Are there any issues with the downloadable version? I'm especially interested in feedback on the mac build since I don't have access to a way to test it myself.
  4. Did you notice any weird behavior or bugs?
(+1)

1. seems fine, but my pc volume is pretty low so

2. i think game is just different so its hard to get good instantly haha

3. didnt try

4. nope :)

Submitted (2 edits)

Game Title/URL: Have Sword Will Travel  https://lair-of-the-coffee-dragon.itch.io/have-sword-will-travel-2023-my-first-g...

EDIT: WIP is uploaded correctly and can now be played from your browser :D

Pitch/Information: A 15 min CYOA made in Twine following the life and times of a down-on-their-luck sellsword fox as they unintentionally bring about the end of their civilization.

I'd like feedback on: Does it make you want to play more? Does it interest you? Did you have fun? And pretty much anything you might want to bring to my attention.

I need help on: Twine Harlowe Arrays and Custom Macros. I'm having a devil of a time trying to get them to work. I have a hub area that randomly selects available missions based on other variables.

Submitted

The setting seemed interesting, and I enjoyed the two plotlines that were in it. I do want to play more. I found the mechanics explanations a bit hard to follow; though, for what it's worth, imo not having the detailed explanations would also work fine.

Submitted(+1)

woot! thanks! I was struggling to find a way to incorporate instructions into the story but you just inspired the idea to have a 'how to' option right under 'new game'. 

Thanks!

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Game Title/URL:  https://rbxgemini.itch.io/bioqubic bloQubic (pronounced block-ubic)

Pitch/Information: A forgotten puzzle game from the early 2000s where you control a little block dude (Qubic) through multiple stages, and absolutely nothing is wrong or strange about the game.

I'd like feedback on: Anything!

Hi i actually love the idea!! dont know if i missed anything or what but if not i guess i finished, just hope it was longer honestly 

Submitted

Nice idea :) I appreciate its sense of humor :D

For me, some indicator of what color of spray was used last would be nice addition.

Submitted

It was fun as far as I played, but I couldn't bring myself to keep playing past level 3 (which I guess is effective).

Submitted

I didn't have much time to play it but what I did play I liked. I got far enough for the first twist and I enjoyed it.

Submitted

Game Title/URL:  https://nn-132.itch.io/mechanism

Pitch/Information: You are inside a mechanism, and in order to escape you need to defeat the robot.

I'd like feedback on: Anything, but especially I want to know if my game is boring or not. If it's boring let me know how can I fix it.

Submitted(+1)

You may not have made your page public as I'm getting a 404 at the moment

Submitted

Yeah, sorry looks like I forgot, It should be visible now

Hooow can i play it?

Submitted
Deleted 287 days ago
Submitted
Deleted 287 days ago
Submitted

You can play it now ^_^

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Game Title/URL: https://opticfroggy.itch.io/bacterialrebirth

Pitch/Information: Playing as a bacteria, you have to survive and defeat all the other entities. Smaller entities will be absorbable to permanently increase the power of the player, and larger enemies may drop temporary mutations which you can pickup. Dying will cycle over 1 random mutation you have as a permanent mutation to your next life.

I'd like feedback on: At this point anything that jumps out to anyone, as I described on the page it's very much not finished yet and lots of core mechanics still aren't fully implemented.

One thing I would like feedback on specifically is the movement, I've made it kind of pulsed as I'd imagine something in a weird ooze may move, but not 100% sure I like it vs just standard movement.

I need help on: Luckily nothing right now, mostly just finding the time around work and life 

Hi, i think movement is pretty unique and cool but maybe could be a bit faster? like time between moves just a bit shorter. Also one thing i noticed when youre not moving you will shoot right instead of last direction moved which is pretty unconvenient. i think thats it. Seems really cool tho ;)

Submitted(+1)

Thanks so much for giving it a go! Yeah the defaulting to shooting right when it stops is annoying and on my todo list :D

Submitted(+1)

This was really fun. I liked the movement. One thing that did feel bad was enemy's dropping mutations that you can't use: as far as I could tell, Extra Health was capped at 2 of them and extra stamina at 1, so when I took out an enemy and they dropped that, it was disappointing. It might help to either not drop unusable mutations (once you get more anyway), or give some sort of (temporary or score or something) bonus for getting a capped mutation.

I also noticed that enemies seems to teleport a short distance occasionally; no clue when it happens though.

Deleted 262 days ago
Deleted 262 days ago
Deleted 262 days ago
(+1)

Hey , i just tried your last build and i selected Medium map and difficulty . The game started and i was able to move the circles around after clicking D , sent them to the fire but nothing more happened after that .
Can you elaborate more on the controls and Goal of the game also it could help us playtest it ^^

Deleted 262 days ago
Deleted 262 days ago
Deleted 262 days ago
Submitted(+1)

Game Title/URL: https://gd.games/instant-builds/685561ef-7b20-4de2-ab38-bb7e7388e7db

Pitch/Information: You can cycle between night and day when you jump to solve platforming challenges.

I'd like feedback on: (the feel of) the gameplay

The sound effects and art are placeholders and there is no music in the playtesting version.

Hi, the idea is really cool, the only thing i noticed is that you can stay on side of the bigger wall (like on the top of box in a higher wall) but as you said art is placeholder so probably to be changed 

Also had some troubles with last level moving box, somehow got stuck inside. It seems that sometimes when i jump the cycle doesnt change but i dont know from what it depends

Submitted

I struggle a bit with controls - moving with A&D and jump not with W but with space makes me super clumsy. But it might be just me :)

Submitted

amazing idea, loved the challengue.

had some issues hitting colliders from the wrong time(day night) making it hard to jump sometimes.
also ended up beneath a red box on this level and the player disapeared from scre

(1 edit)

Hi , i tried the first few levels and it was fun . The idea is nice and the gameplay is already pretty fluid , will try it again and see if i find any flaws/ bugs .  

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Game Title/URL: Downpour - zachery-v.itch.io/downpour

Pitch/Information: A fast paced arcade style game where you play as a raindrop falling from the clouds to the river and the river back to the clouds.

I'd like feedback on: Anything and everything.

I need help on: Balancing difficulty for each of the 3 modes. (easy mode only option for current release)

Hi, i honestly just feel that for this pace the one game feels a bit too long? Especially if it makes me go back up (i died right after i got to the river and started flying back up). Medium and Hard didnt do anything though

Submitted(+1)

Thanks for the feedback. I felt similarly about the level being to long after playtesting a few times. Ill probably shorten it to around 2 minutes in total (1 minute down and 1 minute up) in the full version for each of the modes, and maybe make the pacing feel smoother.

Submitted(+1)

I'd agree that a playthrough is a bit long. It seemed to do a good job of gradually introducing the dangers, although I am a bit unclear on what the brown spiral-y things are meant to be. One simple option for differentiating difficulty modes might be to include more water droplets to pick up on lower difficulties and fewer on higher difficulties.

Submitted

nice game, felt a bit too long, dificulty could be adjusted by speeding up the gameplay, more obstacles less player control

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

Game Title/URL:  Scurry Scramble https://concreteberry.itch.io/scurry-scramble?secret=FfC67BoWhYbKDtUpl0EQLq3cYuA

Pitch/Information: Super simple platformer.  The player is a squirrel that is running around the yard scaring away birds so it can have all bird food for himself. Most of the sprites (except the player and the birds) are placeholders. I have devlog on the forum.

I'd like feedback on: Anything. 

In my opinion more a lot more birds and faster player would be better but maybe its just me and "a-lot-of-stuff-going-on liking "

Submitted(+1)

Thx. I will try that when I will add more levels :) I plan on experimenting with speed and jump power when I will have more things to jump on. I wanted also to do more types of birds, like crows that are hard to scare away, but the free version of construct makes it hard to add more "enemies".

Submitted (1 edit)

Game Title/URL: Blow Up the Death Star! https://griffinvarro.itch.io/blow-up-the-death-star-playtest

Pitch/Information: Fly a ship into an evil space station to destroy the core, and escape before the self destruct activates!

I'd like feedback on: Game feel and difficulty, but anything at all is fine
Edit: Update posted fixing player speed

Submitted(+1)

The game feels very space-like and the control isn't too hard because of the break mechanic (a cool feature btw). The game itself is doable but the time to escape the ship is a little too short. I also really like the art. All in all it's a nice project. Keep going!

Submitted (3 edits)

Game Title/URL:  Fern or Faye?  18+  https://leilanix.itch.io/fern-or-faye

Pitch/Information: Fern or Faye is a short, mysterious game about friendship during the great depression. You play as Honeybee, a girl who has been noticing some suspicious behavior from her friends.  With 5 different endings, will Honeybee witness a murder?! Or will she fix the problems she has been worrying about?

I put a password on the link since I don't want it to be public until complete. Password is: Fawn

It may say that you cannot download the game but you should be able to with the download button! I will fix this in the final version! Keep in mind that this is unfinished, especially the music! The game should have complete music, polish etc.

I'd like feedback on:  I am a bit sensitive when it comes to criticism, so please don't be rude about anything nitpicky, however I would love feedback on the story, vibes, any features I could possibly add, any glitches etc.

I need help on: Please let me know if there are any bugs! I also want to make sure the story is understandable, so please let me know if you're struggling to follow along!

Submitted

Game Title/URL: https://m4rk0v.itch.io/frogging-it-out-in-the-jungle

Pitch/Information: its a cool physics based platformer, whats not to love!

I'd like feedback on:   the movement, the level design and the character art, basically anything you can shoot at us

I need help on: making the movement smoother, and sharper, it feels a bit loose atm, we want it to be tighter.

Submitted

At first I really didn't know how to swing so I would suggest to make a simple intro. I also think that the charakter needs a bit more color, but the animations are super. Keep going, I'm sure the final product will be cool.

Submitted(+1)

thanks for the reply!  this is just meant as a play test, assets are WIP

Submitted

Game Title/URL: Ancient Time by lodan lagab (itch.io)

Pitch/Information: You are stuck in a timeloop and have to travel between timelines in order to solve puzzles and to escape.

I'd like feedback on: The mechanics and the level desgin

I need help on: Some ideas for cool new levels

Submitted

This is the craziest game i've played in my life

The Idea is brillant

Submitted

Thanks for the feedback. I really appretiate it.

Submitted

Game Title/URL: Seasoned. https://minipirri.itch.io/seasoned

Pitch/Information: A puzzle videogame developed under the theme of "Cycles". Control the four seasons of the year to complete puzzles.

I'd like feedback on: Anything. Honestly is kind of hard to design and test the levels myself, I don't have much reference about the difficulty and I don't know if they are easy to understand or even funny to play.

Submitted

I really liked the mechanics and the leveldesign but the drag-and-drop-system was quite laggy. Objects often glitchted out or disappered. But all in all all it's a cool game with a lot of potential.

Submitted (2 edits)

Hi, I may be late to this, wanted to post days earlier but I've been dealing with a bad flu and could not focus. I did submit the game to the jam a week ago so that's good.  But I'll post this here just in case. So I'm a super new game dev, I love to keep my life simple, so are my games. I decided to find a creative way to promote my children's book and colouring book without the use of social media (find it toxic). 

Game Title/URL: https://drag-onkingdom.itch.io/scarlenor-strikes-back

Pitch/Information: In the book "The Drag Queen Knight" Drag-On kingdom defeats Scarlenor (spoiler alert lol). In this game, Scarlenor comes back through the portal with his giant zombies again, only this time he sends them in spaceships. Your job in the game as a drag-queen knight is to destroy as many of them as possible. And the reason this game goes with the theme, is because this isn't the first time Scarlenor attacks the kingdom, it has become a "Cycle". 

I'd like feedback on: Maybe on creative, such and such

I need help on: Promoting my books lol and they're available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Drag-Queen-Knight-Drag-Kingdom/dp/B0C9SGWYSD?ref_=ast_aut...

(2 edits)

Game Title/URL: No Title

Pitch/Information: An electrical tech has to restore power to three locations in his home city while getting away, or meleeing, bad guys donning rubber horseheads. 

I'd like feedback on: The concept as a narrative arc. It is actually a parred down version of a platformer I have in mind. I just don't know now that I want to write/design one. 

Essentially the whole thing is there is a man who has a big sale to complete. In leaving his small family at home, He is tasked to travel across a landscape of woodlands and some treaterous open landscape to complete it, while fending off these random, mysterious strangers. What is he carrying? A backpack of power-ups: a sci fi or fantasy style power boost to building, well, stuff. Buildings, catapults, hospitals, homes, carriages. The likes. And there is this bad guy who he figures out is sending strangers (enemy AI) to hurt or kill him, and take the power boosts.

He comes to find out that the bad guy is a rival. This good guy gets cornered and is forced to just give him the powerups. Or his family gets hurt. So what would he do? Secretly give him a 25% power boost. A quarter of his need for his own schemes. But it doesnt let him go. And he ends of fighting, then sneaking his way out of the rival's hometown, and being chased back home.

I need help on: Well, level design lol. I'll have to learn an engine more to make it playable. Otherwise Im writing it as a game story.

itch.io is only letting me show this image. I have a few rough sketches of the concept. The one up there is the start of the game.

This looks like a fifth grader got bored in class and started learning Unity.  Don't judge me :P 

Submitted

Game Title/URL: Cycle Painterhttps://mahdiydev.itch.io/cycle-painter

Pitch/Information: Path finding sandbox painting game.

I'd like feedback on:  Nice game!

I need help on: Some ideas for new equipments

(+1)

So you need to add an end objective to it.  Right now, its just find buckets. They give you points. So is there a score to reach within the time limit? Is there a max number, then the game ends? Is there a more complex level?

It runs smoothly. Oh, and the third person camera is inverted.

Submitted

Thanks for testing my game and feedback.

Submitted

Game Title/URL: https://gabreu-dev.itch.io/turn-on-the-light

Pitch/Information: Puzzle game about the 'cycle' of depression, in an abstract way. 

I'd like feedback on: in the photography, if it is beautiful, in the gameplay, and about the puzzles 

I need help on: what should I change and what should I keep