Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Reflecting on Planting Poetry

A topic by Dumpling Owl created Jul 18, 2022 Views: 107 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+1)

When I joined this jam, I knew that my schedule for working on it would be weird--I had events scheduled for work and then a trip planned that would basically make the first week a wash. I also went to a concert the night of submission LOL.

Still, the theme of "healing" called out to me, and I felt that even if I wasn't able to use the full two weeks to work on this game, I still wanted to make something complete even if it was small and short. And I did it!

Planting Poetry is somewhat based on my own personal experiences this year.  I experienced a lot of big life changes early in the year and coinciding with that upheaval, a friend gave me a houseplant. Growing up, my family always kept plants--mostly practical ones like aloe in the kitchen for burns, and small veggies like tomatoes and peppers--but I didn't consider myself to be a "plant person."

It just so happens that the plant my friend gave me was a Stromanthe triostar in somewhat rough shape. When I looked up care information online, every guide for this baby was prefaced with "Not for beginners!" Ah.  So this is plants: hard mode. Unfortunately, after a period of doing pretty well, my first Stromanthe fell to BUGS. I now have another one who is doing much more fabulously, and they are joined by more leafy friends in a bright corner of my living room.

In a time of sudden transition, of uncertainty and frustration, caring for another living thing gave me a small sense of direction and purpose. Through my routine of nurturing plants, I am also able to reflect upon how I've been taking care of myself--or sometimes neglecting to-- and become inspired for the ways in which I can change and grow, just like how I get excited when a new leaf or bud starts to sprout.

I hope this is a feeling that I've conveyed in this game!

Submitted (2 edits)

Great work :) It was really relaxing to click through your game.

And I can totally relate how the care for the plants can reflect the care you take for your self :)