Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

title still pending! (visual novel)

A topic by verbalchemy created Jul 02, 2022 Views: 228 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted(+2)

so basically, i'm a digital artist and have decided to branch out from what i usually create (illustrations) to code on renpy! i know visual novels are pretty basic, but this is still my first time ever coding a game! so it's a bit daunting for me but i wanna learn a bit this summer! i'm gonna try to keep up with my logs here and add any breakthroughs or problems i go through hehe. was supposed to be a point and click game but :(( i can't figure it out as of the moment in renpy even after reading and watching a ton of tutorials

-

game synopsis: (names are still in the works) 

mc wakes up and suddenly has leaves growing out his skin!! unfortunately it is NOT usual behavior for his skin to act this way. his friends are coming over in a few, and his two best friends won't leave until they see him. what will our mc do in this situation?

-

the theme heal is hidden in there somewhere but i don't wanna spoil the whole thing. the game will take place in the mc's room and i'm pretty sure i might spend more time drawing than coding (gonna overcompensate for my coding and writing skills). hopefully i'll be able to keep up and not give up halfway!!

gonna start drawing concept sketches and write out scenes later when i wake up !

Submitted(+4)

day 2 (?)

i was a bit lazy today but i started conceptualizing the character sprites and possible expressions :)) heres the supposed mc:

and his 2 friends:

i tried to make the designs a bit simple since i realize if i ever do different poses i'll need to redraw them... but i think i'm pretty happy with how they turned out! they seem pretty distinct from one another at least! the color palettes are still pending, but i already have an idea. im excited with the art since they will be the main piece but i'm worrying with the gui a bit,,, i might use another template? or something?? anyway here are some sketches for the bgs/graphics:

i'm still plotting it out and still have a lot of writing to do. but i at least have the storyline down and the game mechanics down!! aaaa thinking about the coding is stressing me out but i guess i'll worry about it after the art and writing. if anyone has comments on renpy/coding in general pls let me know TT i'm wondering how i can change the gui but so afraid to mess with it in case i accidentally do something idk how to undo, but i guess thats part of the experience!! anw for the next few days i'm going to (try) to write some dialogue and finish a few scenes at least! also maybe finally finish a sprite or two (??)

(+1)

You got some real talent friend,and i realy respect your growing mindset,good luck with your game!

Submitted

day 4!

wasn't able to update yesterday as i didn't do much. today, i powered through a set of sprites for a character! the code was easy but i had a slight problem because i didn't name one of the files correctly (had an extra space in the name) but it was easily troubleshooted. i just used a sketch background since i wanted to see how everything was. i think i'm going to focus on writing since i know now what the sprites would look like in game!

i dont really like the font for the ui so im gonna figure out how to change it soon. pretty uneventful but i hope to finish most of the writing tomorrow and another character's sprite set. thats all!!

(+1)

Wow!! So cool!! Good luck with your project!

Submitted

been a week since i updated!! i got a bit busy with family stuff and havent been able to work on the game much, but i am happy to say i figured out the ui and that it wasn't as hard as i expected!!! i also finished ALL the sprites, a little over 24 drawings?? one of my friends asked if they could assist in the bgs so i'm very thankful for that!

heres the mc who has leaves growing out his skin. the game is gonna be dialogue heavy so i should really clutch that lol! anyway, the healing theme is going to be a lot more metaphorical, like healing from a sad experience. i really hope i'll be able to finish !!