Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

wolf beneath the wool | first visual novel

A topic by starswillscream created Jul 12, 2020 Views: 290 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(5 edits) (+4)

heyy im jordan and this is my first time making anything remotely resembling a game so we'll see how it goes!

basic concept: you & your two siblings venture into the woods to rescue your mother from a vicious wolf.

the story: youve been left in charge of your two younger siblings (abby & devin) after your mother suddenly leaves the house to check in on your grandmother.  her house is just across the forest, so you grow worried as day turns to night and a heavy snow starts to fall without sign of your mothers return.  you soon leave the house, a horrid feeling in your gut as you follow her fading tracks into the snow covered forest. her tracks lead to a clearing covered in paw prints, specks of blood, and your mothers old scarf.  racing back home, you tell your siblings what you found and the three of you decide to find the beast that hurt your mother.  

the story's defos bound to change but i'm pretty into the premise so far !!

• today (7\11) i decided what my story would be about and started creating sprites for characters! 
  • so far abby and devin both have basic references - though I'm worried that my style is too cartoony to fit with the story i want to tell so they may get scrapped.
  • i began using Renpry and set up a basic scene with abbys sprite and some filler text
  • tomorrow i plan on working more on the designs of abby & devin then creating a look for the wolf & mother.
Devin (11)

Abbys Updated Sprite

the wolf

Nooo did you just spoil your own game HAHAHA ! nice drawing Yo

every day I think I've reached the peak of my stupidity but then I somehow outdo myself lmao hopefully some peoples memory is as bad as mine is :P thank you!! 

I think it's possible for your style to work with the story, as a sort of juxtaposition between it looking charming and cute and the story's darker twist, but experimenting could help you figure out something neat. Good so far, the story reminds me a little of an Emily Carroll style twist!

thank you!!!

Submitted

The story sounds good but i feel like i got spoiled, man Ive been checking out some devlogs for inspiration and theyre all so cool, I might play everything!

(+1)

yeahhh at some point while vomiting out my ideas i forgot that others were gonna be reading this haha but thank you for checking it out though !!! & I KNOW im so excited to watch everyones progress!!!

(+2)

day #2 updates/plans;;

• i began plotting out scenes/dialogue using twine! i plan on only having two possible endings but am now focusing on just creating a general path up to that branching point. id like to say ive got a general outline of the main path & scenes finished before the day is over!
  • id like to experiment more on the sprites for abbey and devin & still need to decide on a look for the mother and the wolf. 
  • before the day is over id also like to have a list of backgrounds i'll be needing made.

This sounds super interesting, and I can't wait to play- even having read the spoilers shdjfkg
Also, I absolutely adore your art style! Do you have an art blog or anything of the sort? Anyways, best of luck to you on your development, I'm sure you'll do wonderfully!

thank you so much !!!! + i have an artstation account but im really bad about actually updating it dgdfg

Host

ohhh this pitch alone has such a tense hook!!! this art is so lovely--i can't wait to see more. best of luck with the jam!