Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[ ! ] Mid-jam Playtesting [Sat-Mon] Sticky

A topic by lysander created Jul 21, 2018 Views: 988 Replies: 21
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Jam Host(+1)

Hi everyone! Having a good jam so far? We thought it might be a neat idea to encourage a playtesting weekend, meant to help everyone pinpoint issues and check out other jammers' work! It's okay if you don't have your game done— you can still show us what you have so far! To account for the lateness of this announcement, the dates for posting your games will be between Saturday through Monday. Doing this is optional, but we encourage you to post! We also HIGHLY encourage you to check out games with no feedback; let your fellow jammers know you're cheering them on!

If you'd like to participate, please post here with the following information:

Game Title/URL: Self-explanatory.  Link your game here. 

Pitch/Information: A short description of the game.

I'd like feedback on: You can put a list, questions, or description of what you would like critique on. Can be "anything!" if you're not looking for anything specific.

I need help on: Optional so remove if unnecessary, but if you have a specific problem or bug that you would like help or advice with solving, put it here!

Have fun, and don't forget to play eachother's games!

Game Title/URL:Bay of Curses

Pitch/Information: Isometric Fishing RPG

I'd like feedback on: Animation Controller and controlling it via code, and how the tileset I'm using looks.

I need help on: Working with Isometric Builder by HGStudioOne. I think I really was cursed for this Jam with failing RAM, so maybe I can give back to other devs by providing feedback.

Submitted(+1)

Not sure if you've done this already, but if you understand the animation controller a bit, try writing out on paper how the animation controller should work to a T, then make sure it conforms exactly to that in the editor. You can check off each aspect of it specifically as you go through it. 
I just read your posts and if you're only changing a sprite, it might be easier to do that in code within your character / input controller

This is the first time I've ever used Animation Controller. I'm allergic to videos, but trying to find a written step-by-step guide with screenshots, that is up to date... that seems to be hard :(

Submitted

not sure if cgcookie's articles are behind a paywall, but I recommend their service for someone willi ng to pay for education. I'm not an expert but I'm comfortable working with it now after their lil course on the animation controller. I don't know of any non-video guides off the top of my head sadly :/ 

What exactly do you want to happen to your character through using the animation controller?

Submitted

If you have all the code set up to change animations but it's not happening properly, make sure all transitions have "Has exit time" un-checked. Might need to manually adjust the transitions to be very short as well. I'm out and about right now so i can't take screenshots atm.

I need to set up idling and jumping loops, plus a fishing casting animation when a certain condition is met, which I'll probably use through a true/false variable.

I checked CGCookie pricing but $30 is a bit out of my price range right now. :.) I usually use Udemy when I can.
https://cgcookie.com/lesson/using-animation-clips This one looks promising, but I can't seem to figure out how to just buy 1 lesson.

Submitted

Yeah cgcookie is a subscription service only I believe. The quality of their courses surpasses Udemy's but I do use Udemy as well for specific things.  The latest gif you posted appears as though you figured it out yeah?

Yeah, I've got it under control, though I still don't know how to bind an animation to a specific keypress (in this case, spacebar)

Submitted(+1)

Game Title/URL: Home™

Pitch/Information: Interactive fiction. You're homeless and you've got some tough decisions to make.

I'd like feedback on: Anything! Would also love recommendations of other Twine games I can play for inspiration - I've seen some really cool ones already.

P.S. Game isn't finished yet so the ending might feel a bit abrupt!

(1 edit) (+2)

Hi there!

Not sure if I'm supposed to reply here, or where, but I played your game-in-progress. :) I like your descriptions, and the way they engage so many senses... the feeling of being cold and wet, etc, made it seem pretty realistic! I'd really like to see more choices, though. This read more like a story than feeling interactive. There were a few choices, but they seemed cosmetic (like the choice between what to eat resulting in the same response); I'm sure choices are hard to set up though, especially in only a week. Overall? I think it was a great start!  :)

Edited to note, that I have no twine experience or anything. I just really enjoy interactive fiction. My favorite IF games are often by Adam Cadre, so you might check out his site or his info if you're wanting to play more. I don't think any of them are in Twine, but might be worth checking out, not sure.

Submitted

Thank you so much for playing, your feedback is SO helpful! I'm definitely going to work on adding more choices so that the story feels more interactive. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check Adam Cadre out for sure - just the titles of his interactive fiction games have me intrigued!

Submitted
Deleted 5 years ago
Submitted

Thanks so much for taking the time to play and type out this comment, I really appreciate it! Your feedback on the story is especially useful, and I'm glad you're getting the creepy vibe from HomeTM - that's what I want to develop in the rest of the game. 

I really like the idea of adding pictures and sound and am definitely gonna experiment with that. Stuff like rain sounds from outside could be cool I think, and maybe some simple black and white images to illustrate the different locations. Thanks for your recommendations - the sound and images in The Temple Of No definitely add a lot, super inspiring!

Your feebback has given me tons to think about, so thanks again.

Submitted
Deleted 5 years ago
Submitted (2 edits)

Game Title/URL: Fast Food Dash (V1 release!)

Pitch/Information: A fast-paced 8-bit style  game where food is key. Eat as many as you can, but no more than 3 mistakes! Also, try not to eat the moldy food, it's for the best.

I'd like feedback on: Gameplay, Sound, maybe art.

Submitted

Game Title/URL: The New Continent

Pitch/Information: Fishy's born in the plastic continent in the middle of the ocean. Help him to find a way out to this place in navigate through maze.

I'd like feedback on: the gameplay, idea for the art. The music isn't the final one, it's just for the test.

Thanks you for playing this prototype :)

Game Title/URL: Boilerplate link

Pitch/Information: Steampunk old school dungeon crawler pipe puzzler hybrid. This is a system prototype, there is currently only enemies and chests in the first level.

I'd like feedback on: What is the most confusing part? Would you prefer this to be a turn based or real-time game? Anything really!

I need help on: Would love some music recommendations to the set the game to or cool sound effects for robots!

Submitted

I've been playing for one hour and I love the game!!! 

I have a little problem with the window that show the information about the pipe, it's a lil' bit too intrusive for me. 

For the music is hard to give recommendations, personnaly I played with some squarepusher/ceephax/and my bandcamp flux. But I can imagine a soundtrack kinda like amiga soundtrack. 

Thank you! That's good to know about the tooltip, I'm  using this game to improve my understanding of UI so feedback like that is really helpful! I'll try adding a transparency and lower it's size in the next version.

I can agree with the Amiga, they do have a mechanical feel!

Submitted

I love the art style of this! I'm not that familiar with this style of game so a bit more guidance in the instructions or a little tutorial would be handy. I was a bit confused about where in the pipe system I was, if anywhere? Don't have any specific music recommendations, but I'm imagining something retro and cute!

(+1)

A tutorial would certainly help a lot I agree! I'll try to improve the tooltips and general UI so it will clearer. Your designing the internals of your robot (think Bender's cabinet) but it's abstracted. I agree something retro would be good!

Submitted

Game Title/URL: Delphorium

Pitch/Information: A Relaxing Musical Experience set Deep underwater. A score-based beat rhythm game.

I'd like feedback on:

Do you understand how to play?
What additional content would you like?
Do you want to play it on your phone?
Is there anything else I can do to help your experiance?
Anything you have in mind - let me know :)

I need help on: If you know any documentation relating to using your own MP3 file to play within this game (android). Its a bit technical but if you can lead me in the right direction -- Your a star!!!

Submitted

Game Title/URL: The Long Way Home

Pitch/Information: A 16-bit platformer made in Unity.

I'd like feedback on: Anything Constructive