Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Wake Up !

A topic by cmtrain created Jul 30, 2017 Views: 372 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

Well... I'm a little late for the party here since today is my first day on the jam. It is also my first jam so I'm really nervous and excited. Any way on with the game. 

I wanted to go with something short and simple with this jam and I want to focus on art and animation, because they are not my strong suit. My game is a platformer where the character is in a dream that other time turns into a nightmare. Each level the player has to find the door that brings them closer to the nightmare but also closer to waking up.

Now onto what I did today. 

Other than signing up and cing up with the idea, I made a movement engine following heartbeast tutorials  on youtube (Who is awesome and you should definitely check out if you use game maker) and also made the basic enemy that moves back and forth, along with spikes.

That pretty much it for today. I plan on working on the player sprite tomorrow along with the ground sprite.

Oh and before I forget, here is some screen shots. (The next ones will be smaller)

I should probably make them smaller

Submitted

I started the jam today too.  Good luck, and congratulations on getting started and having something to show for it on day #1!

Submitted

Thank you. Best of luck to you too.

Submitted

8/1/2017

Well I got a lot done today and it feels pretty good. Yesterday I hit a wall trying to wrap my head around game maker's new camera system and I'm still confuse. So I had to scrape my camera idea and  focus on changing my movement engine. My previous one was base on objects which means I would have to create new objects for each ground sprite I wanted to use. So I decide it would be easier to just change my movement collision to be base on tiles. That was a lot of work and a lot to learn but I have some what of a grasp on it thanks again to heart beast. So with this done I focus on working on sprites. I finished my first set of ground tiles (out of three), finished the door sprite and started working on the player sprite. I'm not too sure on the player sprite I might want to change it. Well I'm done writing for tonight, I am  pretty tired.  Some pictures done below.

Nice progress!

Submitted

8/2/17

Feeling pretty good. Two days in a row where I was able to knock a lot of things off my check list. So I finished the player walking animation. Its nothing fancy but its the first walking animation where I didn't trace over a previous made sprite. I also finished the second ground tile. I also made my first ever song. Which was a very fun and difficult experience.  That pretty much all the big stuff I did today, everything else was minor fixes here and there. As always I have some pictures done below Going to go to bed early so I can get a early start tomorrow.