Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] Rewind - Yet another 2D dreamy puzzle game

A topic by swoopae created Jul 24, 2017 Views: 720 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 17
Submitted (1 edit)

Cheers, guys! This is basically going to be the devlog for my first game that I intend to actually release, Rewind. The engine that I am gonna be using is Unity, it's just so I can work faster.

First day plans:

1. Write the code for basic stuff as player movement, collision, basic triggers, buttons, pick-ups and such;
  2. Create some art for the game (?);
  3. Maybe create some puzzles if I have time left.

This is pretty much what I intend to do for now, I'll keep you all updated, probably more updated on my twitter though, where I'll probably post some screenshots more often (@snoopaifuuzy). Also, if you have any ideas for my game, please let me know.

Submitted

Update #1 of Day #1

1. Got the movement fully working, some basic art and visual effects
  2. Got the collision... sort of... working, I guess. It's really buggy and I'll rewrite it as soon as I get this out of the way, probably.
  3. Made some placeholder sprites for the player and added some Hotline Miami music for no reason, really.

Google Drive folder with all the builds (For now it's just a build but I'll be pretty much placing all of them here): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxt2ZcebeXHyRnBXYTNYSVpvcE0

Host(+1)

great work with the movement and collision already! it'd be cool to see some gifs of visual examples of your movement :Oc

Submitted

sure thing! i just have to rewrite the collision, since it's really buggy at the moment

Submitted

Second day goals

1. Fix the collision
  2. More art, maybe make player sprites
  3. Puzzles and story development

I probably will only get the collision fixed today, it's my gf's birthday so I won't have too much free time on my hands.

Submitted

Update #1 of Day #2

1. Finally got the collision working properly, I think. Had to rewrite the entire movement script, but whatever.
  2. Got some nifty puzzle ideas and such, I'll keep you all updated.
Submitted(+1)

Update #2 of Day #2

1. Designed a menu (more of a template, really)
  2. Made some more art
  3. Fully fixed the movement (it should be flawless now)
  4. Added some cool transitions between scenes

Google Drive folder with all the builds including this one: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxt2ZcebeXHyRnBXYTNYSVpvcE0

Preview:

Submitted

Update #3 of Day #2

1. Tweaked the menu a bit and optimized some of the visual effects.

Google Drive folder with all the builds including this one: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxt2ZcebeXHyRnBXYTNYSVpvcE0

Host(+1)

whoa your opening menu is sooo lovely!! the visual effects are so fitting and really well done. also it's great to see the movement!

Submitted

Third day goals

1. Tweak the menu even more.
  2. Add better scene transition system.
  3. Work on a save system.
  4. Work on trigggers, buttons, cubes and such.
  5. Send messages to some music creators so I can actually use their music ;D.

Quite a lot of easy goals today. I promise tommorow I actually am going to start working on more art and level design. ;D

Submitted

Update #1 of Day #3

Holy shit did I get work done today

1. Even more menu extravaganza
  2. Better scene transition system
  3. Cutscene system! Yay :D
  4. Some basic trigger code written
  5. Messaged Holder and Etzer on SoundCloud to see if I can use their sick songs in my game
  6. Wrote an actual story script
  7. Designed some character art

Some gif action:

Submitted

Fourth day goals

1. Story development
  2. Level design
  3. Even more trigger extravaganza
  4. Art
Submitted

Update #1 of Day #4

1. Some story stuffs added
  2. Some level design ideas
  3. Finally made the cube and button sprites, lmao
  4. Messaged pretty much my favorite artist on SoundCloud for permission to use his songs.
Submitted

Fifth day goals

I actually would've normally written this earlier, but I couldn't get myself to have a break from Mario Kart Wii, the game of my childhood.

1. Character design (This is a must)
  2. Level design
  3. More triggers
Submitted

Sixth day goals (does anyone even read this anymore like honestly who cares)

Alright, I only have a few days left, so I need to work really hard to get the game ready.

Goals: 

1. Level design, finish up with it
  2. Story stuff
  3. More triggers and puzzle ideas possibly

I've handed the character design to @ShineShine (discord), since I haven't got any ideas.

Submitted

Sixth day goals (does anyone even read this anymore like honestly who cares)

Alright, I only have a few days left, so I need to work really hard to get the game ready.

Goals: 

1. Level design, finish up with it
  2. Story stuff
  3. More triggers and puzzle ideas possibly

I've handed the character design to @ShineShine (discord), since I haven't got any ideas.

Submitted

LAST DAY GOALS OH MY GOD WHEN DID THE TIME EVEN PASS

Alright, I need to do basically all the level design in like 17 hours. Sounds fun. Yaay. Also the demo is finally released. Check it out here: https://swoopae.itch.io/rewindthegame

I'll keep you updated, hopefully.

Submitted

Update #1