Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[ ! ] Welcome to MFGJ: Introductions and Jam Goals! Sticky

A topic by lysander created Jul 09, 2017 Views: 4,583 Replies: 117
Viewing posts 65 to 84 of 85 · Next page · Previous page · First page · Last page
(1 edit)

1. Hi there! What's your name? Want to introduce yourself?

Hey, I'm Eddie.

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?

No.

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

Portal 2 seems to be a good game.

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

Back in the days I used to experiment with Game Maker.

5. Tell us about something you're passionate about!

Making the world a better place.

6. What are your goals for this game jam?

Learn Unity basics and publish some kind of simple game.

7. Any advice to new jammers (if you're a veteran)?

I'm a new jammer.

My name is Norman B. Lancaster. I work as a software engineer doing business and industrial software. Wanting to make games is what got me into programming at the age of 12, although I've only finished one game in my whole life - a Snake clone :(

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?

No.

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

My all time favorite game is Secret of Mana for the SNES. I still remember the moment sitting in my room playing that game when I thought, "I bet I could make something like this". I spent hours sketching out a plan on paper before realizing I had no idea how to get those ideas into a cartridge. Teachers and mentors would point me toward programming.

Today I mainly play games of the 80's and very early 90's with a few modern Rogue-likes and Rogue-like-lights in there. Games like Metroid, Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link, Ultima 5: Warriors of Destiny, and Nuclear Throne.

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

I've had more aborted attempts than I care to admit. My one minor success was an XBox Live Indie release of a Snake clone called Snakeman. It sold about 2000 copies. I was very pleased with that. I would have given it away but the terms of the platform did not allow that.

I am very passionate about software engineering. Not only the technical side but also the people side - the soft skills. I am a student of everything that needs to happen to help a team come together and solve complex and interesting problems while still enjoying their job.

Complete a game! But it has become more than that. Thanks to the theme - and a recent concussion - I finally see video games as a means of self expression. Am am using this jam to explore and express what my dreams mean to me. And it's not very pretty.

This is my first jam but I know a thing or two about time management. Two phrases I like to keep in my head are, "Perfect is the enemy of the good", and "Perfect never ships". Make it good, not perfect.

Submitted

Hey my name is Rick and I've been a software dev for almost 10 years now. I recently started trying to make games with Unity because I've always wanted to since I was a little kid.

I didn't but I am now because I saw this theme for beginners and I thought I might have a chance to meet other people who also want to make games and maybe learn some stuff while getting feedback to help me improve.

I've been playing games as long as I can remember so I'm not sure which inspired me to want to make games haha. But my current favorites are the Binding of Isaac and 4X games like Civilization 6.

I've played around in Unity and I have a mobile, arcade style shooter I plan to release soon but it's only partly finished so I'm putting it on hold for 2 weeks to try and get a platformer out for this Jam!

Truthfully? Computers, specifically programming. I love learning new programming languages, technique, and skills. I started programming when I was 12-13.

I want to finish a game, meet people, and get feedback even if it's just something like: "Your game is bad" I'll take it to heart and try to make a better game next time!

I'm not a veteran game designer or Jammer haha but I am a veteran programmer. My advice is get some basic design documents and maybe even prototypes before starting on your final version. It will help keep everything matching your theme/goal/idea.

Submitted

Hi! I'm Rastabon, a weird nerd who loves videogames and gets bored extremely easily.

I've never done this before and I've wanted to be an indie game dev for many years now. Plus, you know, I got really bored.

Toby Fox and Scott Cawthon are my ultimate game design heros. They designed and created Undertale and Five Nights at Freddy's respectively. I'm amazed by their work, and I want to make something that effects the world like their work has some day.

I made a really, really bad RPGmaker game called Guilt that I put on steam greenlight. It bombed withing the first hour, and I didn't even put out a demo. I took it down after about the fifth or sixth negative comment in a row.

Recently, however, I started learning how to use Clickteam Fusion. I got it in a Humble Bundle a while ago and became intimidated by it a bit. Once I fought past the beginning, however, I found its quite simple to learn! I even made a little game demo and posted it on this website!

I feel that many people need to explore the issues in their life at times and let themselves be taken away in a distraction other times. It's my fondest dream to make a game that truly helps people in their lives some day. I have a long way to go, but I think that with hard work I can do it.

I want to gain experience and recognition! The earlier I start, the better chance I have of accomplishing my dreams!

Nope! I'm not a veteran! Sorry!

Submitted

Howdy! My name is Brenden and I have my company, not a real company though, Peaceful Illumination that I made with my friend Justin. I program the games while he makes the sprites.

No, we were busy with other stuff. We always want to participate in a game jam for once and now should be that time.

I relay enjoy Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door and Super Mario Sun Shine. But This small game called Adventure Bar Story for the Nintendo 3DS inspired me to make a game similar to it.

I have a mild experience with game development but have never released a game nor have made a really good game. I use Game Maker Studio that I was taught with in high school.

I am very passionate about programming and learning new technics to make my games even better than they once were.

To turn in a finished game. In school I never turn in a game on time.

Submitted

Hello! I'm Sir Floof, but you can just call me Floof.

I did participate in the last jam. I want to actually submit something this time.

Asking me to choose my favorite games is like asking me to choose my favorite child.

In the last jam, I made a short, 1 level platformer called The Forest Treasure with Construct 2. I didn't submit it because I finished it after the jam had already ended. You can play it here, if you're interested.

I'd say video games, but then "passionate" would be an understatement.

Make something better than what I made last time, and submit it. I'm proud of The Forest Treasure, but I want to improve upon it.

7.  Any advice to new jammers (if you're a veteran)?

I'm only technically a veteran, but I still have some advice.

If you're watching a tutorial on how to use an engine, try to get through it quickly so you have more time to actually make your game.  I spent way too long on a Construct 2 tutorial last time, and as a result, I wasn't able to finish my game on time.

Submitted

Hi, my name is Eren and I am from Turkey. 

To meet people who like making games, doing some teamjob and learning things. 

I like adventure games and RPG games. I love most of LucasArt adventures but what inspired me most was some Turkish freeware adventure games like Rapstar series. 

Well I am a newb, I like to work with Adventure Game Studio. I also tried Godot to make some adventure game but that didnt work.. . 

Something! I just don't know yet. 

Getting a dream 

Submitted

I'm Sam! I don't have the spare time for this, but here we are.

I remember thinking about it really hard last time it rolled around, but I saw it this time and decided: I have Twine downloaded, and I'm going to make a game! I can't code, I can't draw, I don't know any artists or coders who could help me with this/I would feel comfortable asking for help with this, but I can write.

I always thought I wasn't any good at video games that weren't, say, Pokemon. Then I played Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 1 at a roommate's urging, and  I realized: okay, so I'm just not good at shooty video games, who knew games could have stories like this!?? So I love the Dragon Age series, I love Journey,  Transistor,  and Child of Light, and  I'm struggling through Prey at the moment. There's a lot of shooting in it. It's hard.

For text-based games that I've loved and have inspired me: Fallen London (it will always be Echo Bazaar to me!!!), Sunless Sea, the OG Choice Of games (Broadsides/Romance/Vampire), and A(s)century  and A Good Wick . Also, the forests of CYOA books I read as a kid.

Not at all! I gave Choicescript a shot, but I was very bad at it. I have one half-made Twine game lying around, and after I gave that up I started using Twine for my D&D/DungeonWorld notes, haha. 

This is a hard question!!! How about: I love to read. 

Finish the thing.  

Hey my name is Luke Costello. I'm finally have have the courage and tenacity to start making games like I have always wanted to.

This is my first game jam. I've heard about them but never knew how to get involved. I found itch while watching  a Mark Brown video of him reviewing games made on it for a game jam he had. 

Pretty much everything Shigiru Miyamoto and Johnathan Blow. I probably have spent more time playing video games than just about anything else. My favorite game of all time has to be Super Smash brothers (4 is my favorite). I like games that bend your spatial and temporal reasoning like Fez, Tri of friendship and madness, Puzzle Dimension, and Portal.

I have 2 games under development one on Game Maker the other on Java. I went to school for Computer Engineering for 2 years but most of the things I've learned have been self taught.

Other than Smash bros? probably puzzles, both of the games I have in development are puzzle games that are about spacial reasoning. 

To put myself out there,  to be able to go "see Im a game developer, look here is a game that I have developed"

Deleted post
Submitted

Hi. My name's Rahul, and I'm an undergrad from India.

Never participated in a game Jam. Never made a game before either, but I have a few ideas, and what better place to start?

I absolutely love Turn-Based Strategy. XCom 2, Invisible Inc. and Chess(I'm horrible at it) are among my favourites. But the game that inspired me was probably indie game Tanks of Freedom. Simple, yet fun to play.

Absolutely none! I know some programming, and went through a Unity tutorial or two. But that's it.

I absolutely love playing video games. I'd even started a blog on it recently (retrospectgamer.wordpress.com if you're interested). I'd thought about making a video game for some time, but never quite got to it.

I want to learn more about the process of game development through practice. I realised that the only way I'd be reliably motivated to make a game is if I had a deadline.

Jam Host

welcome to the jam! it's cool to see more non-americans in here, since most of our userbase is based in the US. i totally relate to that last statement — i can only get things done on a deadline. hopefully this will work for you too! good luck!

Submitted

Thank you! Here in my university, not many people are serioulsy interested in Game Development. We don't have that kind of community here, but I'm glad most of these Game Jams are online. No restrictions as long as you're connected to the internet :)

I was delighted to find this jam. The very name encouraged me to join!

Submitted

Dor Cohen

I love share things that I made with others

I like the dreams game

yes with costruct 2

cool games

people will love my games

I am not a veteran

Submitted

My name's Octav, everyone pretty much calls me by the username though.

This is actually my first jam, and it sounds like fun, so I guess that's why I joined it.

I honestly love Hotline Miami 1 and 2, pretty much my all-time favorites, and yes, they did inspire me to make my own masterpiece.

I do have "some experience" with Unity.

Art, development in general and 80s music, pretty much.

Make a functional game that is fun and looks decent.

Good luck to everyone else in this jam!

Jam Host(+1)

hotline miami is so aesthetic. i'm excited to see what you end up doing ( will it be 80s inspired? O:) good luck!

Call me ishmael, i mean, tibone. Yeah, tibone is fine.

No, it's been a long while since i've done any jam. I plan on finishing something. At least 2 levels of something. My reason for joining is getting back into hobbyst gamedev.

I love old Sega games. outrun, space invaders, galaxy force, after burner and a lot of old shmups, stuff like raiden, thruxton, gradius, etc.

you can check what i did in my website: http://www.classicgames.com.br/games (i worked on stuff before using several engines, either my own custom engine (in basic, vb, c, etc) or using gamemaker, stencyl, etc.

videogame music. i'm obsssed with it. recorded many covers of my favorite tracks. 

Finishing something.

Keep it simple. After you mastered simple, then try to expand on it.

Jam Host

oh man, i'd love to see some of those vg music covers. music is probably one of my biggest passions and vg music is responsible for some of the most memorable moments i remember from games. good luck with the jam!

Hey man, 

feel free to browse my youtube: http://youtube.com/tibonev
and my bandcamp: http://tibone.bandcamp.com/

If you listen to them, let me know what you think.. feedback is always welcome.

thanks man, i hope to finish the game for the jam.

Submitted

hi! I'm MrDudeIII. I'm just a guy who is a dev for fun. 

i did not participate in the last jam. I'm joining because I've wanted to try participating in a game jam for a while, and the timing and community around this one seem to fit. Also, i want to take this craft more seriously, so i want to get feedback on my means and ends.

I've played since super Mario on the NES, but i have been especially inspired by big deal series like Mario, the legend of Zelda, Pokemon, harvest moon, halo, and shadow off the colossus and also by projects with smaller stats like Minecraft, phoenotopia (a great one if you haven't played it), and castle crashers.

I've been designing games and making proto types on and off since high school, but I've never finished and published a game. I've used game maker, stencyl, animator game engine, blender game engine, and now godot engine to varying extents and effects.

i really like game music! I sometimes actually write game music first and then design based on the music.

my only super solid goal is to finish something and submit it, but with that, keeping it simple and ignoring unhelpful side tracks and extra features seems critical for that.

what i will be working on for this jam is not getting lost in possibilty or things that could be cool--Just stick to the key features and finding ways to tastefully and ruthlessly cut out the extra.

Jam Host

thanks for joining the jam! i also started dabbling a little in music thanks to vg music — particularly cavestory. moonsong is the song that started it all for me. good luck with your game and nice pointers you've got there! an overzealous scope is probably the biggest issue most people run into.

Submitted

I've never actually played cavestory, but I love the music I have heard from it. Thanks for the reply!

My name is Devone Reynolds, Navy Submarine Veteran, and it is nice to see so many profiles here. I was not able to join the last game jam mostly because of not knowing about this website but this one looked like a great one to start with. I like couch co-op games because it is awesome to share the experience with a friend and it is what inspired me to become a game dev. I have a handful of months experience with game theory and development, with Godot being the engine of choice. My main goal for this game is to practice a basic game dev cycle and use social media to communicate in a professional atmosphere. 

Jam Host

hey devone! nice to see you in the jam and thank you for your service! this game jam is a great way to meet other like-minded people and network, so i hope that aspect of the jam pans out for you!

Submitted

Hey Devone! Thanks for your service! Couch co-op is a great reason to get into dev (who doesn't love singlescreen co-op?). I am trying to get better at social media/awareness and my dev cycle as well. Do you have anything that has seemed to work well for you?

So far Ive been imitating how the more seasoned game developers post DEV LOGS about their games.  For example:

ATaciturnGamer's post in this forum called "[Devlog] Knight Terrors! "

• Showing screen shots and videos of progress
  •  Posting in depth explanation of what changed since the last time they posted, in a way that other game devs will understand quickly.
  • Having timely replies to comments both on thier thread and on other peoples 

It all looks organized and neat. 

Submitted

That seems like a good strategy. I just get super tunnel visioned and forget to do it though. I probably should just set timers or something.

I'm with ya. I focused more on building something that resembled a game than actually commenting and creating a dev blog on it.

Submitted(+1)

It did seem that the times I did write something down helped my momentum though. This is actually the first time I was ever able to "finish" a game and publish it (even though it's short and a little glitchy and stuff). Maybe I will try to make that more regular.

Submitted(+1)

hi! i'm lily.  nice to meet everyone!

i did not participate - this will be my first jam. i've always been interested in making games, especially rpgmaker and visual novels (kinetic and dating sims) but i always felt scared to do it. i figured if i joined a jam, maybe a deadline will finally get me started on my indie game career.  :3

hmm, i've been an avid fan of pokemon and ace attorney but i'm also starting like rpgmaker games. my favorites include mad father and corpse party!

i wouldn't say that i have but i like to tinker around with rpgmaker (2k3, xp, vx ace) and ren'py. all i've done is create maps and just stared at it hoping it'll finish on its own... and ren'py stories tend to get over complicated with me except, hopefully, this time.

i love writing so much! there's a reason why people like certain games (like ace attorney for example) and i really want to tell my stories through multiple formats! i'm also a big fan of game music - i would like to create my own music one day but one step at a time...

i really want to start something fresh and new - and actually finish something. as in, there's a beginning, middle and end.

even though i'm a newbie, one thing that always tripped me up was the fact i over complicate things. please keep things simple! make life easier on yourself...

Viewing posts 65 to 84 of 85 · Next page · Previous page · First page · Last page