Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Hello everyone! I'm a developer :-)

A topic by Hangarter created Sep 01, 2022 Views: 376 Replies: 18
Viewing posts 1 to 14

Hi all!

It seems this jam is a little small, so I've decided to go ahead and introduce myself :)

Here on itch.io I go by hangarter and I'm a unity developer. Recently I've joined some jams online and participated on global game jams 2021 and 2022. You can see all my projects here: Hangarter - itch.io

Perhaps we could form a team here? I was thinking particularly in going a little bolder in concept as we have three months and design something using HDRP in Unity and assisted by AI for concept art. Not sure why but the image I've got is ants in close-up surrounded by mushrooms, not sure about mechanic yet!

So here I am, nice meeting you and please feel free to contact me if you want to form a team :-)

Hangarter

Hi Hangarter! I'm a narrative designer and have been slowly working on my skills in blender for 3D modeling and artwork. I wanna hear more about your concept and talk about maybe teaming up if you'd be interested, and I can share some of my working documents as well! Reach out to me on discord :) Worrynaught#1355

(-1)

Here is something I came up quickly (DALL-E):

(-1)

(-1)

(-1)

(-1)

(-1)

(-1)

(-1)

(-1)

HostSubmitted(+1)

Do to ongoing legal and ethical concerns AI art will no longer be allowed in projects in the #MushroomJam, thank you for your understanding and patients!

Submitted

Perhaps you could explain to us what those legal and ethical concerns are? It might help us understand why our work has been disqualified, Because legally, I've made sure that the images I produce belong to me and me alone and I am free to do what I wish with them, commercially or otherwise.

HostSubmitted(+2)

For legal reasons in the United States you cannot copyright AI images: Link , Link

There are also issues with artist having their work taken without their permission to use to train the AI, which I believe is unethical and shouldn't be legal. You can read more about it here: Link

AI has also been found to use private medical photos in their generators Link

Thank you for understanding

Submitted(+1)

Very well. Thank you for taking the time to explain your position. 

(+1)(-1)

Could you please reconsider? As there are no artists in this jam, AI is helping with concept art ideas! It's going to make it more difficult, and all images are unique work, even AI generated

HostSubmitted(+1)

Unfortunately not, I would recommend looking at works that are already in the public domain such as the works of Beatrix Potter or other resources like the following: 

Well, honestly this whole AI ethical concerns is a huge loss.

It's a technology, like many of the ones that come to aid us and not get on the way, disrupt the market and all that.

During a game jam, we are always incentivized to try new tech, new algorithms, because... It's a jam, and it's indie work, and that's how we can compete with the AAA studios, doing something different.

It's like uber disrupting the taxi sector, artists will adapt and USE the AI technology to their benefit, the ones who fear it will be left behind.

So, it's very, very bad to forbid people to try new tech during a Jam.

Politely, I'd like to state that the worst part of it is not your position about the ethical part of AI, that I genuinely respect. but the fact that at the beginning of the jam, some rules were set, then DURING THE JAM those rules changed.

Either the jam should have been cancelled and another should have been created with new rules, or the rules should have been kept the same. 

Changing the rules of the game during the game is... unfair.

HostSubmitted

At the time of starting the jam I was unaware of the private medical photos being used for AI, and as someone who had medical photos taken I would never want them to be used by strangers on the internet. 

I don't see how canceling the jam and restarting it would be any less fair then letting it continue with the updated rules. People who used AI would be in the same position they are now, and people who have previously submitted would have to seek out the new jam to resubmit.