Jobs
Tags

[Official] Jam FAQ Sticky Locked

A topic by Retro Indie Josh created Jan 26, 2021 Views: 520
This topic is locked
Viewing posts 1 to 1
HostSubmitted

What tools/engines can/should I use?  
Use anything you like! We recommend a proper game engine to save time - something like Unity, Godot, Defold, Unreal, etc.

Not sure what to use? Ask on Discord or in the community. We have a lot of experienced members familiar with various tools.

I'm awful at music/art. How could I ever make a game? 
Our jams allow external assets credited appropriately. We insist you credit everything, even Creative Commons Zero or Public Domain. If you use external assets without credit, your game will be removed from the jam.

Find free assets on Open Game Art. Joshua also has free, royalty-free music packs.

I don't know how to program. Can I still make games?   
Absolutely! Many systems require minimal programming. The best way to learn is to get your feet wet, and a game jam is a wonderful no-risk way to try out new tech. You can ask for suggestions in this community or on the 8 Bits to Infinity Discord.

Am I required to use theme?
Not technically, but it is a voting category (for the Vision Track), so you will score higher overall with a good use of the theme.

Should I build for Windows/Mac/Linux/web/[insert system here]? 
Yes! Build for as many systems as you can so more people can play your game. We recommend finding someone with the target system to test your build long before the jam ends so you can be sure it works.

I didn't finish. Should I submit?
Yes! Game jams are about creating prototypes. A finished game takes years. You can still win with a cool idea, even if the experience is brief.

How can I get more people to play my entry?    
Play games from the jam and on itch.io, leaving quality feedback. Ask the dev politely to play your game, so they know you're looking for feedback. There's also a new feature on itch.io that shows your entry when you comment on the game's jam page so be sure to do so there.

Can I make a multiplayer game?   
Yes, but we don't recommended it due to the extra difficulty giving feedback.

Can I make a 2D/2.5D/3D game? 
Yep! There are no graphical limitations to this jam.

Can I enter other jams with the same game?  
Absolutely, as long as you follow all rules and time limitations for each jam. Note we lock submissions, so you won't be able to upload new builds while this jam is being rated.

Where can I ask more questions?  
Ask in the community for this jam (see link at the top of the page) or on the 8 Bits to Infinity Discord.