Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Should I Upload my game?

A topic by Cheryl Danial created Aug 22, 2020 Views: 204 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

Hi everyone! i actually dont know if i want to upload my game or not.... my game look kinda boring to play.... it just unmotivate me to submit my game. im a beginner btw, and my age is below 15. 

Submitted

Do it. Several reasons:

First: so far I've found the community on here quite polite and encouraging so far. So my guess is the worst that will happen in the comments are encouragement and ideas for improvement.

Second: You'll learn that it's hard to judge something you've been working at and looking in such an intensive way without stepping away for a while. If I look at my game now, all I see is the long list of features and ideas I abandoned for the jam version and the bugs and problems I didn't fix. Nobody else knows that list so nobody else will look at it that way. Same as nobody else will play it while looking out for the small glitches I think I noticed once during testing but could never reproduce. The same will he true for your game. You'll have spent a lot of time thinking about it, running through it, picking apart your ideas. Nobody else who plays it during this jam will look at it the same way.

Third: No matter if you still think it's boring or not after stepping away for a week, submission for the jam will be over. If you submit it now you'll have finished the jam, gotten some feedback that's probably more positive and maybe gained some momentum for the next one.

I started learning programming around 15 years old, not games. All the stuff I did was pretty awful by my standards today but I learned a lot and the most important thing for learning was the feedback other people gave.

Submitted

Yes, you should upload your game no matter how boring you think it is! Even if it is not good, you can get some useful criticism and perhaps spark some ideas for improvements or future work that you may never have thought of. I think the spirit of game jams is not about making something great, it’s about having fun. The submission is not a bolster of capabilities, it is a mark of your excitement and passion; it fosters a community, not competition.

Submitted

The most important thing in game devellopement is putting things out for others to play. Many of the "good games" are made by peoples that started by uploading crappy prototypes, so don't feel bad about your crappy prototype ^^