SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

"No NSFW content, offensive content, excessive gore/violence"

A topic by Brandon JS Lea created Sep 12, 2019 Views: 609 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 4

Regarding this rule:

"No NSFW content, offensive content, excessive gore/violence"

"offensive content" in particular seems incredibly vague. Basically anything can be considered offensive with a large enough audience and trying to avoid that feels very limiting. Anything that tries to challenge someone or goes against the norm can be considered "offensive" and I feel this  discourages developers from trying to do anything of meaning through their games context or mechanics.

I know this is probably done to be accessible but in practice I feel the "offensive content" could be better defined as it excludes developers with certain approaches to their work. 

Host

Your concern makes sense! I will revisit the description on the rules to better define what would be considered offensive content!

Is there something you're planning on that you're worried will get you disqualified?

Submitted

Valid question. I've seen and entered multiple jams with the same rule. I've never heard of anyone's game actually getting disqualified over it. 

I think it's one of those safety rules so the organisers can disqualify when they "need" to without having to deal with some pedantic jackass defending their "right to free speech" in the form of obvious toxic hatred. 

If you're worried, post the thing you're worried about or contact the organiser in private. Unless you're actively trying to incite violence or harassment, you'll probably be fine. 

Nothing planned, but as someone who's trying to explore more narrative focused game design, I'd rather ask now so it's not an issue later.

The person that responded above you answered as good or better than I would have. You're almost certainly fine, I've never heard of any disqualifications because of this.  It sounds like they'll specify more in the rules but if you're really worried about dancing on a line you shouldn't,  I'd just message and ask first.

(-5)

Hey, I am not sure but you guys may like this jam cus of the money prizes:

https://itch.io/jam/elixir

Oh that's great. 

Not only do you come into a completely unrelated thread to promote your jam, it has the exact same "no offensive content" rule I'm complaining about here.  I'm not even mad, it's a good joke.