Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Mechanic and/or Subject Theme?

A topic by aeroplane490 created Nov 20, 2017 Views: 843 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 6
(1 edit)

Will there be a theme for the game mechanics and subject? I think it'd be cool and make it a lot more interesting if there was some theme announced the day the competition starts, as well as make it a little easier to develop an idea for. I've been practicing coding for about a year now, and am teaching my friends so we can join this as our first jam! I'm looking forward to the competition none-the-less.

Host

Awesome, also I don't really have a theme in mind because I feel all these minimalistic requirements that make people focus on the mechanics are already plenty for most people.

I think there should be a theme because some people can just create the game before the jam starts and that's no fun xd

Host (2 edits)

I've never thought about that, but even if someone does get a head start they aren't going to win a prize. The point of the jam is to have fun.

How can you tell if someone had a head start?

I think he means since there's no prize for this jam, then it doesn't officially matter if they start early or not, it's just a matter of having fun by working within the jam timeline.

Host(+1)

What aeroplane490 said ^

Ahh yea I see, but it would still be nice to have a theme...

Submitted

there are many jams that have themes. You can pick from the lot :)

(+1)

This is a special jam because of the restrictions.

Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted

take that as a challenge for yourself. Relying on a theme seems like an issue that would be good for you to tackle. 

If you need, write down a handful of your own theme ideas and pick one from a hat. 

Deleted 3 years ago
Deleted 6 years ago

I don't think there's anything to even "win" here.

Also, most, if not all jams don't exert control over your work after the jam is over, so yes, it doesn't matter.

Submitted

I'm fine with there not being a mandatory theme.  Sometimes you gotta come up with your own! (And there's always free theme generators on the web.)