Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

This is my first game jam, any tips?

A topic by Kash created Mar 21, 2020 Views: 246 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(+1)

Hello... I am a rookie when it comes to Unity and game jams. I have been developing a lot of games lately and wanted to join a jam, (Thanks Brackeys.) 

Does anyone have some tips or recommendations? I am open to anything :)

Submitted(+2)

I'm also a 'bit' new to game jams so take my tips with a grain of salt. These are just my opinion 

Try not to over scope, its fun to finish something to get feedback afterwards, so make sure its something you think you can finish.

Dont be afraid to try new things, jams are a great time and place to learn something new, that you might have no experience making.

There is a program called sfxr that will randomly generate sounds for you if you not sound savy.  Sound design is what I usually do last so its a niffy program. 

Give yourself some time for polish if possible, its a fun part of the process I find and it can take more time than one might think.

Enjoy yourself, do not get too stressed about it. 

Thanks!

(+1)

I am also new and I already found out NEVER give up on anything that's maybe a little harder than you think your limits can do . Try everything and if it does not work just look it up on google or youtube or maybe ask here ;D

Great Advice, Thanks!

Submitted

you are already doing great by researching tutorials online. Make sure when you are following along you understand how the code works. Understanding coroutines, if statements and the while statements will help a lot. 

One thing to remember with the game jam is the time constraint. 

Think small, it’s really easy to go overboard and try to do a lot in a small amount of time.