Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs

Question Regarding Content

A topic by pecosghost created Apr 30, 2018 Views: 168 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2

I just wanted to get other people's thoughts/perspectives on this since my game (and I'm sure everyone else's) is going to be borrowing subject matter from copyrighted material. I know this kind of stuff can get complicated but I think as long as the games aren't being sold, if they borrow some of the characters directly, then it's more or less okay. Also, just wondering if the "mashup" would technically be considered a parody of the original work, therefore giving you the fair-use excuse? Sorry if I sound like an idiot for asking, I'm really excited about this jam and my game, I just want to see if anyone else is more familiar with this matter and could shed a little light on the subject. Thanks in advance!

Host

Yo pecosghost! I totally understand your concern... It's actually the exact reason that I was a little weary about the theme in the first place. I think your best bet would be the characters "inspired" by route (check out my News post for an example of this) Although, you bring up a great point about the possibility of the games falling under parody "protection" that might definitely be the case! Very interesting, I'll have to look into that. Regardless, just use your best judgement and if nothing else- feel free to mashup something else (I'm completely fine with you coming up with a theme you feel more comfortable doing, just be sure to define the new theme on your game page). Thanks for the post, I'm glad you brought it up and hopefully someone here has a more concrete answer then me regarding the copyright stuff ;)

Thx for the reply

I actually don't want to do a different theme since I already have my game started.

but its good to know there is an alternative, just in case thx