Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Has anyone found an idea to work on yet?

A topic by Geecko on the Wall created Apr 08, 2019 Views: 578 Replies: 18
Viewing posts 1 to 12
Submitted

This morning, I began to wonder if there was some cool idea I could use for my entry and, shockingly, one immediately came to my mind. I’ll work on that for sure.

How is going in your neck of the woods, instead?

I got an idea involving a standard hex grid.

I'm totally, 100% stumped, to be honest.

Mimicking cartography, I'd love the game to be a solitaire pen and paper game, but the theme hit me hard.

HostSubmitted(+1)

My advice is to try to get out of the box and interpret the design goal (even forcing it a bit), because sometimes it happens to get stuck only on two or three meanings (the most obvious ones) forgetting everything else.

– Antonio

I have a couple ideas that I'm toying with. And my hope is figuring out the player count will help streamline my ideas. 

Submitted (1 edit)

I've actually been thinking of a competitive pen and paper game that might be fun! I just wanna play around with the idea a little more and test it out with some people.

- Might switch it to a type of cooperative type of game.

Submitted(+1)

Competitive is what i went for. I don't really have experience with coop games and always felt it's easier to find a way to get everyone at each other's throats than to get them to cooperate :)

HostSubmitted (1 edit) (+2)

I think I'm going to write a map-game inspired by one of the most famous Italian highways, whose construction took more than 50 years. :)

– Antonio

(+1)

I've two ideas in my mind, but I have to think about them really well. I want to make a game that allows you to explore a weird type of map, like the brain map or the human body — something like that. 

Another obligation I want to add to burst my creativity is making a game in which the drawing of the map is unusual. Maybe a card game? Or a dice mapping game? Or maybe you use an old table cloth and paint it? Something really weird.

HostSubmitted (1 edit) (+1)

You can use a real human body... this would be really weird! ;)

No, seriously, why don't you focus on the human body during its formation? There are areas that belong to different periods, parts formed before others, etc.

– Antonio

I will. I've two games really, one will be a one-man-design (a game about change and dandelions), the other I think with Edoardo. 

But probably I will publish one of them outside the contest.

- Daniele

Submitted (1 edit)

Wow! I can see we have some cool ideas and advice here!

I’m opening a new topic to speak about my possible entry: https://itch.io/jam/mapemounde2019/topic/436570/the-wayfarer

Deleted post

This reminds me of Birdman and many tv series episodes (eg. Out of gas from Firefly and a couple of episodes from Studio 60 on the sunset strip). I'd love to see a game about fiction structured like that

(+2)

Days ago I started thinking about maps through time and how people used them during the prehistoric era, then, after reading the goal, I tried to think about how a map could physically change over time (shreds/pieces of paper, sheet cut-outs, different sheet sizes?). 

Here I am now developing a story about this change and the society that evolves in relation to it.

Submitted(+2)

I've got something involving starmaps that you paste scratch paper onto to make a crazy collage.

Submitted

I’ve not enough hearts for this idea. 💕

Submitted(+2)

Spent the last two days thinking about a game about language and territory where you play a people being colonized. I’ve cribbed a lot from Avery Alder’s “A Quiet Year” and Thorny Games’ “Dialect”.

In the first phase, you make your culture by drawing cards containing words and some possible meanings for the word. You choose one meaning and place the thing on a map.

In the second phase the intruders show up and start taking over the things, and substituting your language and culture for their own.

Submitted

Wow! These are some serious design notes.