Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Inspirations and References

A topic by Ametysta92 created Sep 17, 2022 Views: 98 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

Did you take inspiration from some particular legend, piece of folklore or myth to write your island?

What are your main references? 

Submitted

nope, nothing in particular. Both me and my wife had studied at school a bit of greek mythology but we tried to write something more mediterranean in a specific Italian flavour. 

Submitted

Studying greek and latin mithology was the best part of my school’s path. I love poems of Omero - especially “Iliade”- and i have never forget the story about Paride and his golden apple, so when i started to write an island for this jam, i had already choosen that a golden apple was my key point.

Submitted (1 edit)

I mostly used common tropes from Greek mythology as a broad inspiration (with Ovid and Homer as the main sources). 

Olos is a rather straightforward example of Zeus travelling incognito and punishing hubris and those who do not respect the sacred laws of hospitality.

For Taras, I played a bit with the idea of tarantism, a phenomenon mostly associated with Southern Italy but common all over the Mediterranean; I added some  more strictly ancient Greek elements with Dionysus and the Maenads, as well as the double role of music as both cause and cure for madness (Apollonian and Dionysian), and then I included some hints at what is generally considered to have been the actual cause of this phenomenon -  harsh working conditions and stressful social pressure being felt particularly by women in agrarian societies.

The main inspirations for Temnon are Achilles's blind battle fury and his refusal to return Hector's body, as well as Aristaeus's role in involuntarily causing Eurydice's death. 

Xerras is mainly a twist on the sacrifice of Andromeda to a sea monster (and the regular sacrifices to the Minotaur), with the added theme of the ancient Greeks' vision of civilisation vs barbarism.