Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Welcome to the Isekai Jam

A topic by eirdonne created Jun 15, 2023 Views: 331 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Host

Hey, people! Don’t know how you came across this jam, but glad to see you here. This is a community post to discuss anything. Plans, hopes, WIPs, your dream job, anything!

This is my first jam, so forgive me for any mistakes or accidental inconsiderations!

Thank you and a heartfelt welcome. Excited to see what this jam brings us (if it does…).

Hi! Just trying to understand the theme a little better. I did some good ol' web research for a more... definitive... definition of what makes an Isekai, and it turns out some films from my past are ostensibly Isekai, including:

- the Matrix trilogy (1999 - 2003),
- Source Code (2011), and
- TRON: Legacy (2010).

Would you agree that these are Isekai? If not, do aspects of them still embody the essence of Isekai, or am I way off??

Also, is there (/will there be) a Discord channel for this jam, or shall we use this community to find teams?

Thanks!
- Sean

wheres the discord?

Are you including reincarnation stories (reincarnation in the same world, it being a fantasy world) as isekai?  It's a common trope in the Otome Isekai subgenre, but from reading the rules I am not sure if they specifically require two different worlds.

I would like to know that too!

Host (1 edit)

Hey, sorry for the late reply, but yeah. The terms of this jam are incredibly loose and @Nekpane_Interactive’s examples would be considered isekai.

The first two are like an NPC waking up and becoming a person. The last would be isekai, but not reincarnation (requires death in our world).

And yes, as @CSVidal said, isekai in fantasy worlds are also considered isekai :)

Sorry for the extremely long wait, travelling held me up and honestly, I’m just glad to have participants here (which I didn’t expect!) - Excited for the submissions!

And to answer @Living VideoGame Music Composer‘s question, no, I haven’t made a discord because the maintenance/experience that’s required for a functional one is difficult for me right now. However, a community discord is openly encouraged!

If one’s made, I’ll add it on the home page.