Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Jam FAQ Sticky Locked

A topic by Staggered Amusement Machine created Jul 14, 2022 Views: 267 Replies: 17
This topic was locked by Staggered Amusement Machine Sep 19, 2022
Viewing posts 1 to 7
HostSubmitted

If you have any questions about the jam itself, feel free to ask them here!

If I wanted to create a system-neutral adventure, would that be acceptable? I can see short adventures that would easily cover Cepheus Engine, Cepheus Light, Traveller, Scum & Villainy, and other systems.

HostSubmitted (1 edit) (+1)

You can definitely make a system-agnostic adventure. When you go to submit, just type “system-agnostic” in the field where it asks what system the adventure is for.

This is also the same process if you’re writing a Free Kriegsspiel Revolution adventure.

Are the adventures to be for a typical game group (3-8 players and a GM) or could games which were solo games be acceptable?

HostSubmitted

Solo adventures are permitted. Just make sure it’s clear that the submission is a solo adventure.

(1 edit)

If I include the contents of the template in the same sections and orders, can I use a different page layout?

5.5" x 8.5" pages would be my preference.

If I do a solo module, it will be more like a 'choose your own adventure' and in order to do that in 2000 words, I will want to have terse blurbs on individual pages. I'll have a longer page count and like a 'choose your own adventure' style, the reader will flip back and forth as directed.

e.g.: "If you swim the river, go to p 21. If you try to make a raft and pole across, go to p. 13."  

I think they call what I had in mind a 'signature pamphlet' (5.5" x 8.5" individual pages). If one was printing it, ideally it would, instead of having individual 5.5" x 8.5" pages, you'd have folded landscape 11" x 8.5" and you'd print most pages with four 5.5" x 8.5" pages with the right page numbering and then they'd nest into a pamphlet that staples in the center.

This is an experiment: I'm not sure yet whether a 'choose your own adventure' solo game is feasible in 2000 words as that definitely limits your number of steps, but I'd like to try and to not make it easy to see the next step, it has to be on another page and ideally not the following page as the late 1980s books did.

HostSubmitted

Sure, yeah. Feel free to use a different layout. The template provided is mostly there to help authors get started.

Submitted (1 edit)

May I organize the information differently from the provided template? I'm still keeping Contributors, Adventure Assumptions and Sensitive Content Warning but the Players’ Introduction part left me confused and I'd like to deal with that kind of information in my own way.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Absolutely. Feel free to organize the adventure in whatever way makes the most sense to you.

(+1)

I see mention in the jam rules about entries being publicly judged, but I'm not clear on what this means. Is there some nominal "winner"?

HostSubmitted

That’s a good question. Yes, a winner exists only nominally. Judging exists just as a vehicle for submitters to receive semi-formalized feedback on their submissions.

(+1)

Cool, thanks!

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

Hello, so this Jam and the Follow the Convoy Jam schedules cross, and I created a submission with the rules and themes of both jams in mind: Using the FtC procedure and Hyperspeed's "Keep moving. You never know what might be catching up." theme. However, I'm just now seeing the "specifically for the jam" and "no more than five essential images" part of the submission rules. Snag the Suit/Evac the Exec was made specifically for two jams, and I'm not quite sure what counts as an "essential" image, but I think I'm OK there. FWIW, I may have been led a bit astray by some of those that have already submitted, :sweat_smile:

All this to say: Would you be so kind as to verify whether or not Snag the Suit/Evac the Exec (which will get an font & small writing revision update this weekend) is suitable or not to the Hyperspeed Adventure Jam? Thanks for your time!

edit: for clarity

HostSubmitted(+1)

Howdy Chris. Those are good questions.

The “specifically for this jam” clause is meant to prevent pre-existing adventures from being submitted. Submissions that are made for this jam in addition to other jams happening at the same time are allowed. You’re perfectly fine to submit Snag the Suit/Evac the Exec to both jams.

As for the “essential images” clause, it was added as a counter-measure to people trying to circumvent the word limit. However, it has the unintended side-effect of barring any icon-heavy scenarios (such as yours). In response, I’m going to revise that rule so your adventure is allowed.

Ultimately: you’re fine to submit Snag the Suit/Evac the Exec. Thanks for taking the time to make an adventure, and ask me those questions.

Submitted(+1)

Awesome! Thanks a million for clearing all that up.
I'm hoping to get an official license on this one before I submit, but I will plop in the unlicensed version if not.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Sounds good, glad I could help. Another submission is waiting for the Mothership third party license, so you’ll be in good company if you don’t get the license before the deadline.

Submitted(+1)

Ha, Tachycardia, yes? That one's got a slick layout, and I love the station design.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Rogue-Bots, actually. Although I do also admire Tachycardia.

HostSubmitted locked this topic