Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What is your idea? Sticky

A topic by World Champ Game Co. created Jun 18, 2020 Views: 394 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 7
HostSubmitted

If you're working on something, letting an idea roll around your brain, interested in approaching a theme/mechanic and unsure, or otherwise wanna spitball together, use this community!

Personally, I still don't know what the heck I want to do. I've done a couple hex-based games in the recent past (S7REE7 DOGS and The Frequency) and submitted them both to the jam, but each use the hex in the more traditional method of overland travel with random encounters. I think for this jam, I need to shed the baggage of the hexmap as geographical and pursue something more out-there.

I put this out there on Twitter, but this is my first game jam and I'm already over-committed to other projects as-is, so I'm just dipping my toes, a bit. 

I'm thinking about making a pixel art hexpack, at the very least. I've been really inspired by the aesthetic and color palettes of games like MORK BORG, Mothership, and UVG, but I've also been inspired by just replaying old video games. There's something kind of neat about seeing really complex ideas and characters abstracted and distilled down to an 8-bit icon of some kind. I think there's ways to make a pixel/retro aesthetic translate to a hex art pack, and do so in a modular, easily customizable way for me as a creator. 

If I find myself being more ambitious, I'd like to try to craft some version of a character sheet/record in hex form. /shrug

HostSubmitted

I’d love to use some pixel weird hexes! Also dropped your hexes as character sheet idea (with credit) on the most recent episode of the Brain Trust podcast and we tinkered with it a bit, I think a few people on discord resonated with that! 

I haven't read The Frequency, but when I was looking at the preview page with the cryptic-looking hex map of the city, my initial thought was that it was some kind of tool to keep track of where the Character was in 'tuning'. A kind of visual representation of dimensional frequency space, if that makes sense. So one of the concepts I'm rolling around right now is using hex maps to map non-physical things. I'm starting to wonder if it's one of those ideas that sounds cooler in the abstract than in any concrete implementations, though. 

HostSubmitted

abstract is cool! The Frequency uses hexes to track the city that you explore while trying to find the numbers, so the hexes aren’t directly related to that number the player is trying to quantify. I def like the sound of using hexes for some kind of ethereal/supernatural use

Submitted

Dhextiny is a role-playing game engine that uses a hex-shaped board and a single d6 to determine all action results in the game. I intend to eventually create specific settings for fantasy, cyberpunk, and who knows what else!

Submitted

I'm drawing inspiration from the Hex Crawl system, but just added my own scenario/story around it ^^ This Jam has been such a learning experience for me as I've never played Hex Crawl before! 

Submitted

First time jammer here but long time lover of hexes.  I have been working on a Ultra Violet Grasslands colour palette inspired hex set for Hex Kit recently so hope to get it finished in time to submit.