Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Solo Act looking for other solos to vibe with

A topic by SpellMender created Apr 29, 2023 Views: 447 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(+1)

Hi! Not asking for a team. I'm a Unity developer that's tired of Unity, so I'm giving Gotot 4 a try. Whenever I talk to other devs about their experience with Godot I get crickets (because my circle is just FULL of Godot developers /s). I figured I'd invite y'all to just talk about your experience with Godot, and maybe we can learn from each other. Good luck this jam!

(+2)

Sounds like a great idea! This is good for godot devs (like me) that need help doing things since the update and figuring stuff out together!

(+1)

I've just barely started with the documentation (practically a tutorial) over here:
https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/getting_started...

It looks like this portion is updated for Godot 4

(+2)

On the same train, After years of using Unity, Godot feels more suitable for 2d. wanna start a long term top-down pixel art project soon with Godot

Submitted(+2)

Going to dip my toes into actually using Godot to make a jam prototype solo.  Been years since I did a jam but looking forward to it.

(+3)

Just finished bullet hell jam 2023. Feeling kind of burnt honestly. Need to think of a new idea because the theme threw it right out the window.

(+2)

just finished pixel jam. same vibe, lol

Submitted

you could always do your original idea after the jam, if you still think it’s great.

you don’t need to worry about it too much, because great ideas come back and not-so-great ideas don’t — so time filters out the bad ideas.

(+2)

Starting this jam pretty late, hopefully I’ll be able to get something out (if at all)

(+2)

You got this, fam!

Submitted(+1)

So far I have found it easy to switch over to GDScript and Godot 4. My code isn't the best but got a game running,

(+1)

Nice! I started with 4 (which I love), but found that 3.5 has more in the way of compatibility (esp. webgl)

Submitted

me too.

i first planned to open-source my game after the jam (not during the jam so i could get the game more finished before the jam ends), but now i won’t because the code is so messy that open-sourcing it wouldn’t help others understand how it works.

I would hate for people to see the staples and glue holding my projects together.

Submitted (3 edits) (+1)

this is what happens when making a game without making prototypes before:

the code architecture is messy because you make the game without a real plan.

so when i’m making a long-term game project (not a game jam), i make a lot of quick prototypes before the finished game, and i don’t reuse prototype code so the last attempt of writing the code will be much cleaner.

my GoGodotJam4 game is very simple, so it should take 2 weeks to rewrite everything (if i am remaking the same game with no surface-level improvements), so after the jam i could make a clean open-source version in 2 weeks (i will do this if enough voices want this).

Submitted(+2)

I stream my code sometimes on Twitch or YT so people already get to see the staples and glue holding my work together. :D