Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Any Tips For Marketing Your Indie Game - Post Jam

A topic by BirdmaskStudio created Aug 08, 2019 Views: 147 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted (1 edit)

So I think a lot of us have learnt the importance of marketing your game during this Jam and, while I've been doing a couple of things to get people within the Jam to see my game, I'm still a bit at a loss of what to do to get the wider gaming audience to know my game exist.

As someone who is planning to releases their first priced PC game sometime in the next month I was wondering if the people who know a bit more about getting your game out there from this Jam may have any advice for me, and others, who are going to be trying to break out into the publishing space after this Jam.

Spamming Reddit forums that like my genre of game? Mass email youtubers who play indie titles? Going to the center of town with a bell and a shout any pointers would be appreciated.

Submitted (2 edits)

Hi there,

I work in advertising company (mainly politics, not video games but hey) so I hope I can help.

• Thumbnail: Try going to the submission tab and keep scrooling down, observe what's catching your eye. Big readable text, contrasting colors, faces and important game elements (sword or a knight for RPGs, Gun for a shooter) etc. You need your players to click on your game first, if your thumbnail looks boring, no one will click on it.
  • Short description of your game: Keep stuff simple and short. Don't throw walls of text at your potentional players, they don't like to read, pictures are better.
  • Good graphics or artstyle: let's be honest, it's important.
  • Spam your game on social media: If you're going to be releasing a game in a month, you should be posting about it pretty much everywhere, everyday. Gifs and videos are the best. If you didn't build an audience it might be rough tho.
  • Good trailer
  • Try to talk with youtubers and streamers in advance, Don't send them an email one week before release. Plan with them when they should release their video of your game.
  • You can always try and find a publisher, there's a lots of them! Make a nice, clean pitch for your game and send few emails around.
  • Be lucky

There's more to it obviously but I hope this helps a little.