Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What are your biggest challenges in this jam?

A topic by Ikmal Said created Aug 12, 2022 Views: 200 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted

As the title stated, what are your biggest challenges in this jam?

Submitted(+1)

probably just time management - I mentioned leaving the bulk of the graphics, pretty much everything, until the last 48 hours. I feel like if I spaced it out more evenly I could've been spending more of my last couple days polishing up the level design. I ended up doing a very slap-dash method of triggering text boxes too n if I'd organized more ahead of time maybe I could've actually put together a much more cohesive system for it.

It's funny like, the more time you spend organizing, the more time it saves you in the long run when you're not trying to slap things together and having to go back and fix them when they don't quite work.

Claire's grappling hook was a new thing for me too, I have had a little practice with projectiles but not that particular kind. I wasn't sure it'd work because my entry isn't really a physics based platformer so I had to think outside the box for how to manipulate it properly - I think it works pretty well ultimately. It was also one of the most uh, prominent breakages I had in the playtest phase lol

Submitted

Here are the common constraints of a game project, at least in a business perspective but really useful for anyone who makes games.

Time, cost and scope. :-)

Submitted(+1)

For me is how to save and load each data for every fish. because every fish have different Age, Health and Gender. 

Also the offline, how can i make that if the player go offline for 1hr and back to the game, the fish still grow base on how long the player is offline. i implement this offline thing to the health of fish becausea my fish get less 1 health every 1min and also for the age and the money. 

Submitted

I think your solution to offline time calculation is very welcomed to be one of GDevelop's game examples. Good job!

Submitted(+1)

Thanks!!!

Submitted

I just think my biggest flaw was ignoring polish, and releasing a game where one gamemode doesnt even work. 5 days I couldve used for polish. 5.

Submitted

probably losing my progress after completing a lot of stuff . my computer just died before I saved and poof. everything gone.

Submitted

ironically the engine itself xd i learnt the engine while i was working on the game itself having never touched it before lol

Submitted

Ideas, I first had a completely different idea and worked on that game for the first 3 days of the jam but then I had a even better idea so I started from scratch again. And on the last day of the jam I got like really sick.

Submitted

Personally I was hoping to put in a few more mechanics before the time is up but couldn't do so. Nevertheless, this game jam did push me a bit to move rapidly rather  than procrastinating for months. However, I'm still figuring out why my audio sounded weird on browser but it does seems to be fine on my pc when playing it.