Tags

Progress - Unknown Planet

A topic by anarbitrarymustache created Oct 04, 2016 Views: 757 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted (3 edits)

UPDATE:

Game is online!

https://anarbitrarymustache.itch.io/unknown-planet

A huge thanks to Mark Sparling for the amazing soundtrack (and in very short notice). Check out his stuff at: https://soundcloud.com/marksparling

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Long time fan, first time participant. This will be my forth game jam, with 3 LDs under my belt (though I missed the last two). I always love following all of the progress threads, but I never find the time to do one myself. Figured I'd attempt to change that. Just need a good (easy) workflow for capturing gifs (suggestions welcome).

I got a late start on Saturday and ended up scratching my original idea on Sunday (felt unique, but just wasn't fun to play). I'm now attempting a "metroidvania" platformer. Having an unprecedented 10 days (instead of my usual 2) this seemed more than reasonable. How the eyes are always bigger than the stomach. Anyway, I have the engine > 95% complete (few punch list items, but is currently playable and I like the feel). I threw together some first pass sprites and began work on my game map. Though I'm not surprised, planning out this map is taking so much longer than I'd hoped.

My scratch drawing, planning out the flow. I still have about 23 "rooms" to design. ( 20 rooms x 10 rooms didn't seem all that large at first)

Once I get it figured out, I'll start posting some gifs of gameplay as well. Oh, and since I'm guessing I no longer will have time myself, I'm in search of a musician :)

Submitted

Hello anarbitrarymustache!

We are using GIF cam to capture gifs of our project, you can download it Here! =D

Submitted

Thanks for the link! I can't wait to give this a try.

Submitted

Well, I wasn't able to work on this for the past two days, so am planning to dig in this weekend. Played around some with GifCam. My laptop's framerate drops to pathetically low numbers when running this - making it awkward to play while capturing. Made 3 progress gifs though! I updated my main characters sprites and worked out his animations. Started playing around with some of the other sprites, but they still need a bit of work. Working in just the 4 colors is a unique challenge.

I started with this camera transition between rooms/zones but decided it doesn't fit with the game play style I'm looking for.

No transitions in these:

Submitted

The amount of little details that you've put into the game is SUPER impressive! Exited to play this! :)

Submitted

Thanks! The little details are usually my downfall. I try so hard to leave them till the end. I'll be testing some mechanic and then I realize I just spent 8 hours on some dust particle.

Submitted

That first enemy is supposed to be a squid like creature. That was his place holder sprite in the above gif. After watching it a few times I was going to be bothered by it all night if I didn't update it. New sprite, that hopefully looks more landsquid-like.

Submitted

Some more new enemies and hazards.

Submitted

Holy crap, this is freakin' amazing. Incredible work.

Submitted

Thanks, man!

Submitted

Real smooth pixels. I will definitely try your entry :)

Submitted

Thanks, Anil! I can't wait to try LURK.

Submitted

Your graphics remind me of this :)
https://andrio.itch.io/shrubnaut