Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Brew Witch Progress...

A topic by babyjeans created Oct 02, 2016 Views: 1,405 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 15

First time doing GBJAM and I've only participated in LD a couple times, but thought I'd give it a shot! I'm working on a game I'm calling "Brew Witch" where you play as a little old lady who runs a potion shop. During the day you'll forage through a forest and cave for ingredients needed to make potions, and towns people will slowly travel to your shop and submit orders for potions for their discreet needs... however, the 'magic' of your potions is a rare resource, a rare resource indeed. In the evenings, you'll travel to town locating unsuspecting sleeping villagers to 'leech life force' out of, but carefully, as if you take too much they'll wake up - It's a tumultuous relationship you have with the village as a Witch, and if they knew what you were up to the jig would be up.

Sounds like a great idea! GL & HF (^-^)

Host

I love the idea and I can't wait to check it out.

Thanks guys! Doing a bit more work getting everything mocked up into game, but figured I'd show off the logo I made:

I want to play this!

Submitted

Looks awesome!

Looks great!
Good Luck

Thanks everyone!

I spent a lot of time today cutting up my mockups into workable sprites, and then loading everything into the game. I'm using Love2D since I have a bit of a soft spot for Lua and can get stuff up and running pretty quick with it.

As of now, I've figured out how I'm going to organize the game related data, build the world, and build the game objects... I'm using a 'builder' pattern and chaining function calls to basically use script as a game editor:

WitchHouse = EnvBuilder('Its a WITCH... houuuseeee')
                    :addLayer('outside')
                        :visible(true)
                        :addTexture(resources.witchHouse.outside)
                        :addPathSegment('trigger', {
                            triggerArea = Rectangle(), -- TODO: Measure stair trigger area
                            segments = {
                                { { 53, 59 }, { 63, 69 } },
                            }
                         })
                    :addLayer('interior 1')
                        :visible(false)
                        :addTexture(resources.witchHouse.interiorLvl1)

Not that it's the best time to make a new framework, but it's working out. It's inspired by what I did on my LD36 project (which is admittedly still a work in progress). Anyways, here's a gif of not-much-more-than-before:

If you guys are interested in more of 'how it works' though, I'm glad to post!

Submitted

This looks so amazing!

Nothing much new to show - a little holed up making a World 'manager/renderer' object so I can get my entire forest up and running. That should be going in tonight and then I can start sprinkling goodies for Miss BrewWitch to pick up... thanks for following along everyone ;)

Tonight I set myself the goals of getting the witch in her home, getting her picking up stuff, and getting her to transition between screens... 1/3 so far, and it's getting late... but I'm still going!

Submitted

Your art looks supernice!

Really looking forward to playing the final results.

(2 edits)

Continuing last night's goals tonight... I've got her entering her house now:

I actually had a pretty good 'eureka' moment with this last night... as I was two-days deep into an Entity system I caught what I was doing (writing an Entity System during a GameJam? what?) and rather than continue along my stubborn path and finishing it I stopped myself resolving to just hardcode my Entities... I'm writing this with in Lua after all (I'm using LÖVE), might as well take advantage and get sloppy with it.

So kids, today's lesson is to get sloppy with it.

I also realized the jam doesn't end tomorrow and ends midnight sunday, so with my new direction and all this time I have some hope I can get something finished!

(1 edit)

Starting to add some UI - those button prompts aren't going to stay up there...

(1 edit)

Been at it all day - I've broken my project into 5 'phases' so that I can hopefully finish SOMETHING to submit, but have a plan for more of the features I want... here's a demonstration of what I've got so far:

My 'Phase' plan looks something like:

Phase 1

1. Add Brewing Window
  2. Brew Potions by filling slots in the Brewing Window with Inventory Items
  3. Pre-fill player Brewing Inventory, make potions
  4. Ingredients: Berry, Stick, Bone, Eye
  5. Brew

Phase 2

1. Add List of Discovered Potions
  2. Grey out undiscovered potions
  3. Add Count to ingredients
  4. Find ingredients in forest and cave
  5. Brew

Phase 3

1. Add Mailbox, in the morning it has recipes for the day
  2. Add Recipe / Letter UI
  3. Lose if malibox req isn't met
  4. Add Shipping Box
  5. Ship Potions in box manually

Phase 4

1. Add Catalog with house upgrades
  2. Add Ordering Upgrades

Phase 5

1. Add NPCs w/orders, mailbox only for catalog

In the end I didn't get it finished - but I posted what I had, as source, on github for any love2d users who are interested.

https://github.com/babyjeans/brewwitch