Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

I have a question about cross-posting.

A topic by kevidryon2 created Jul 29, 2022 Views: 203 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3

I previously asked this question on the LOWREZJAM’s Community page, but…

I’d like to know if I can make a game that conforms to the 64x64 limitation and runs on the Game Boy Advance.

Host

As long as it's newly written for the jams, then yes, I don't see why you couldn't submit it

Jam HostSubmitted

I had actually thought about this too haha.

I think when it comes to the technical side of things it might be a bit interesting. The GBA screen is 240x160, so you kind of have a few ways you could approach it…

1. Crop the screen to 64x64 to match the limitations of the LOWREZJAM.
  2. Crop the screen to 128x128 and scale your artwork up to twice the resolution (Not sure on the exact details of LOWREZJAM, but you might need to lock your sprite movement to the scaled up pixel grid with this option).

Bonus: You could also look at scaling assets 3x, cropping to 192x160 (for a ‘virtual’ resolution of ~64x53) if you are will to lose a little height to get more actual device screen real estate.

I decided to use a resolution of 64x64, by rendering everything to 3 64x64 sprites (that I will call the “display sprites”) and scaling them 2x; there are 3 “display sprites” on top of each other, so there are 3 layers, and virtual sprites (like the player) have to be rendered directly to one of the three layers, like background elements.