Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Confused about the itch.io rating system

A topic by Diego Escalante created Dec 03, 2020 Views: 3,003 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

Hi, I'm new to itch.io game jams and itch.io in general. I'm a little confused about the rating system and I am hoping someone might be able to provide some insight. Here are my questions:

1. I see two ratings in different pages. For example, on the game jam's submission page for my game, I see that 5 people have rated it so far. And I can't see the ratings for it yet. Of course, I have to wait till the voting phase ends for that. However, on my game page, if I click under More Information, I see some stars and "(2)". Presumably that means 2 people have rated. So because on the game jam page 5 people have rated, and on the game page I see two ratings, I assume these are different types of rating. Is that correct? If so, how do I give a game a rating for the stars on the game page? I know how to rate for the jam in the submissions pages, but not for this. I don't see any obvious way for doing that.

2. Are ratings anonymous? When I scroll through the game jam's feed, sometimes I see that people have rated a game with a message and the rating itself. What ratings are these? The game jam submission ratings or the ones on the game pages? And why would either of them not be anonymous?

Thanks for any insight. Happy game rating!

Submitted(+1)

so to answer your question 

this photo attached is from the GMTK gamejam winner you see the rate this game option now? this is where the normal gamejam unrelated ratings are given

and second one as far as i know all ratings are anonymous.

hope this helps.

also a plug for my jam game here : https://am-educated-vegtable.itch.io/set-a-light

Jam Host(+1)

Hi there!

What AM EDucated VEGtable said 👍🏻

1. Is it possible someone rated your game before you submitted it to the jam.?You can rate games that aren't in jams: https://itch.io/updates/you-can-now-rate-games

2. I believe they are anonymous ✓

Cheers,
  Lee

Submitted

Thank you, you two. I think I understand point 1 now. That makes a lot of sense. And I somewhat understand point 2, but I guess what throws me off is seeing these posts in the submission feed, which have a rating attached to them:

But I might be conflating different things, as there have been nearly 3k ratings in this jam so far and I have rarely seen these posts in the submission feed. So these must be something else, making our game jam ratings anonymous indeed. Just real curious as to where these posts are coming from...