Blessings from Jam Coordinators to make this post (hopefully it gets stickied too).
The link below contains a free “Game Jam” License to DragonRuby Game Toolkit. Yes, you can use the engine for the jam AND commercial games. There are no limitations or restrictions.
This zip file includes the engine and a sample platformer starting point. We’ll keep updating it throughout the jam with features to specifically support Leaps and Bounds.
For notifications of when the zip is updated, I’ll post here and in the DragonRuby official Discord channel. The channel has lots of devs there to help if you get stuck.
Super Easy Setup Guide:
- Unzip file.
- Go to the directory that represents your operating system.
- Run dragonruby.exe. A platformer game will load up.
mygame/app/main.rbin the code editor of your choosing.
- Change the code.
- Save the file.
- Watch the game change live/hot-loaded.
How to Publish Your Game:
- Done coding your game? Cool!
- Create an itch.io page for your game and fill out mygame/metadata/metadata.txt.
- Double click dragonruby-publish.exe.
- A folder will appear called “build” that includes Windows, Mac, Linux, and Web versions of your game.
- Upload to Itch.