Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Howd everyone feel about the game jam?

A topic by fireflanger created May 21, 2023 Views: 278 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 14
Submitted

Now that the jam is finished, what do you feel about how it went? Was it challenging? Eye-opening? Fun? 

Submitted
I've made small games in short periods in the past, but never for a Jam. Been wanting to make GB games for a bit and this was a good push to do it. Fought with compilation tools for GBDK, but all that should help smooth out the next experience. Looking forward to more Jams.
Submitted
I put in an unhealthy amount of time into my entry, but I'm glad that I did in retrospect. I ended up really falling in love with my game's concept. I think it's basically my dream game. Or at least, it would be if I fleshed it out into a full-fledged game. Also, it's pretty humbling to see what all everyone else ended up submitting. There's too much talent in the GB homebrew community. Makes it hard to compete lol.
Submitted
Well, I have yet to look at all (or most of) the other submissions.. But if I can speak for myself: I'm proud that I managed to deliver something in time. But I do regret not having enough time (or: arranging enough time) to really put in the work needed to deliver something more "finished".
Submitted (1 edit)

-double post-

Submitted
Trying to work under the theme really threw me for a loop, because the ideas I was precooking didn't fit at all! After writing down some ideas, I picked the one I figured I could realize the easiest... And I still couldn't fully do it, but I'm happy with what I was able to do! For my first game, and being made in a week, I think I did alright!
I ended up not submitting my work, but I'm proud of what I managed to do, even without finishing. Maybe it will become a full game, :)
Submitted
I'm glad I did it, but was definitely outside my comfort zone. I'm never been big on visual scripting, so it took me a bit to finally feel productive with it.
Submitted
well hey, im glad so many people participated as they did! there's been a lot of cool stuff here, and even with some very simple games its been awesome to see how much potential people have.
Submitted

I feel fulfilled for participating, I had so many unforeseen events in the week of production, but having something finished for the first time is a good feeling.
I loved rankings week too, as soon as the jam ended the first thing I did was take a look at each game. I wish I had rated it more, but the week went by faster than I expected.
Now I'm going to focus on fixing the errors, and turning the learning into something.

Submitted

Dunno why a lot of this jam mechanics are time-based or "divided characters work together". time is the most unfriendly thing in the world (said me) and dividing player agency like that rarely makes sense in this scale of the project 

Submitted

i feel really good about actually finishing something to a degree to submit it - there were a lot of things that i learned for how i want my workflow to be in the future, and having a push to actually familiarize with all these new programs gives me a really excited sense of motivation. i cannot wait to compare future endeavors to this first one: the community and devs have been so lovely to talk to, as well, and im so impressed by the jam games! it was a very warm welcome and excited to continue!

Unfortunately I couldnt get my game finished, but I got something special that I can show in the future.
Also, this is the first time I played ALL the games from a GAME JAM.
definitely a good experience.

Submitted

I feel happy I got a modestly-ambitious project finished (even if I was scrambling during the last hours to finish it!) Now I have a base to build something bigger off of. And since it was intended as a philosophically-flavored showcase for my music and my friend's art, I'm glad people really appreciated those elements, and I think it succeeded!