Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Diceless Firelights?

A topic by TheGiftOfGabes created Mar 20, 2023 Views: 112 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

I am working on a core mechanic that uses Tarot cards and no dice and I am struggling with how it should work, I thought I'd call for ideas.

Concept:

•  create a character
  • pick 3 major arcana at random, those are your "stats"
  • when resolving an action, choose an arcana and compare with the card numbers. stat higher than storycard beats it

These cards are also your "fatigue". When a miss happens (shadow), flip one of those upside down. A reversed card now beats a story card if it is lower, bot higher. You can Push yourself by using a Reversed arcana, but then you flip it face down. All 3 cards face down mean that you can't go on.

Treausure: I thought that when you meed an bother Major arcana, you can collect it as treasure. You can draw a random Treasure card to turn it into a Lesson, replacing a face-down Arcana.

What do you think of it?

Submitted(+1)

Depending on how you explain how it works in the game, I think that is SUPER unique. I'm a little confused on how you would numerate the stats for major arcana. Unless the Arcana is the type of stat and the you use the  +3, +2, +1 stat block numbers. I love the reversal idea, I think is would be interesting if you gained a new stat because of it that is the "shadow" version of the previous stat when it was upright.

Submitted

I settled on "each arcana IS your stat", and when you reverse that arcana instead of "roll above" you gotta "roll below"

Son if you get the Devil (15), you'll beat any card below that number. If you reverse it you now can only beat any card above that number. There are some kinks to iron but I like this shape so far.

Submitted

Thats really amazing! I can't wait to see how it plays out

Submitted

If you are in the discord server, you can see the draft up there!