Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Jam Details & FAQs Sticky

A topic by Second Dimension Games created Dec 18, 2022 Views: 332 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Host

Hello all, and welcome back to the Finally Finish Something jam for 2023.  This is the 7th annual #FFSjam and everyone is welcome! The rules are explained on the main jam page, but here is a list of Frequently Asked Questions. If your question isn't covered then please ask below.

Why did you decide to host this jam? We ran the first FFSjam in January 2017, and the follow ups in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022, and everything went pretty well those events.  The original reason we started it, is because we find game jams are one of the only things that gets us motivated to actually finish something.  We had a few prototypes and half-started games that had been hanging around for years, and we knew we wanted to submit them to a game jam, but we don't like breaking the rules.  Most jams require you to come up with something new based on a theme, so submitting our existing ideas never seemed right. After a few years of looking round for a jam like this, in the end we gave up and decided to just start it ourselves

When is the deadline for the jam? In the first year we stopped exactly at the end of January, but for the last few jams we have added a few extra days to ensure the jam finished over a weekend.  We'll be doing that again, so the deadline this time around is 00:00 GMT on the 4th February.

Is it OK if my game is mostly finished? Yes that's absolutely fine, one of the purposes of this jam is to help get you over the line on a long running project

Does that mean I can't start a new game for the jam? Not at all, the other purpose of this jam is to help you finish a game if you've never managed it. It's no problem if you want to start a new project or redo an old one from scratch

Can I just finish an Alpha or prototype? Yes, the final product can be whatever you want it to be. If you find it helpful to use the jam to create a prototype then that still counts as finishing something!  Alphas, prototypes and demos are all welcome.  You can also take a previous Alpha and work on it again to move it to Beta stage.

Can I charge for my game?  Yes you can, you can utilise any of itch.io's existing functionality so paid game can be submitted.  It would be great if you would consider submitted a demo or small slice of the project for free so everyone can try it, or perhaps a discount for other FFS jammers, but that is not a requirement.

Does my project have to be a game? No, you can submit anything you want, such as a tool, screensaver or interactive art piece.

Is there a Discord channel? Yes there is!  Permanent invite link is here: HERE

What's the best way to find a team? In previous years we recommended Crowdforge for finding collaborators, but unfortunately they seem to have disappeared over the lockdown period.  So for 2023 you can ask here on the community, or you can chat to some people in the Discord channel (invite HERE). 

Can I continue working on my game after the deadline? Yes absolutely, feel free to use this jam as a starting point for something even better.  Just post a demo or a alpha to the jam and then carry on improving it.

Can I used royalty free or creative commons assets? Yes you can, as long as you have the right to use something then that's fine. Just be sure to credit the original creator if they have requested it. There are a lot of Google results for free assets, but some good places to start might be FreeSound.org and OpenGameArt.org

Do I own all rights to my game or project? Yes completely. Neither itch.io nor any game jam host has any rights to your project, you are 100% the owner and always will be. This is confirmed in itch.io's Creator FAQ Here.

Will there be a ratings phase? Yes!  Although the idea of one particular game 'winning' the jam doesn't really make sense, we thought it would be good if you could get feedback on your projects. This is good for both very long running projects and new game devs who complete their first game. There will be ratings for Fun, Visuals, Audio, Mood and Innovation (plus a few Jam Host awards chosen by us)

The jam seems very relaxed, are there any rules? This is a mostly an 'anything goes' jam. One thing that is not really in the spirit of the jam is to submit a 100% completed game that didn't need any extra work, but even then you may have finished the game very recently, so we're taking a very relaxed attitude to things.

Are there any plans to repeat this jam in the future? Yes!  As I say every year, as long as a reasonable number of people are interested and submit games then we'll keep repeating it!  We will do it next again January if people continue to find it useful.

How do I share my progress? You can post here on the community to share your screenshots and progress.  You can join the chat on Discord and put updates in the progress channel (invite HERE).  Or you can also use the hashtag #FFSjam to share updates on Twitter.  Feel free to follow the @FFSjam Twitter account, which will be retweeting updates throughout the jam.

Q: whats the theme?

Host

No unified theme, as people will be finishing off all kinds of games and don't want to constrain them

Submitted

I see that there are 82 entries in the jam at the moment, but there are only 45 of them on the page with the entries, including my game is not visible: https://mikletuapse.itch.io/aos-6-wt

It's been like this for three days.

Host

Yes I'll try and figure that out over the weekend, I've have notifications about way more than 82 entries so I think something isn't quite working right

Submitted

There is also a problem with the voting system - when I try to mark any star, the page collapses, I cannot vote according to all five criteria.

Submitted

I couldn't cope with the voting box on my Windows 7-64 computer, I tried it on another computer where Windows 10-64 - the voting box also collapses. And now I tried it on an old computer with Windows XP-32 - and everything worked!

Something is wrong with technological progress...