Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Game Ideas Sticky

A topic by Ember created Jul 04, 2022 Views: 351 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Host

What film do you want to base your game off of?

What films would you like to see?

(+3)

I’m going to go really esoteric. It’ll either be based on ‘The Ninth Configuration’, or ‘The Night of The Hunter’.

Not sure what game styles yet, but it’ll come to me.

Host(+1)

I can't wait to see what you decide on!

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

These are some of the ideas we've been thinking of,  We're going with the final option so any of the others are free to take if you like them :)

Snakes on a plane: Top down hotline Miami survival, you have to protect passengers, if any get bitten you need to immobilize the certain snake to create an antivenom

Inception: Going through a combat scenario, but you can invade your enemies mind, requiring a minigame to be finished to get out. These minigames can have minigames within them. (Though this was cool, it sounds like a ton of dev and prone to scope creep)

Baby Driver: Rhythm based driving game, the better you time your inputs, the higher gear you shift into and the song changes to a higher intensity. 

Event Horizon: Crew management horror game, probably from the point of view of a commander on the rescue ship. If you split your crew up too much, they may suffer psychological effects. Crew may radio in for assistance in situations, causing you to focus on somewhere for a bit too long as other crew members fall into peril.

Weekend at Bernie's : QWOP style game where you try to pilot the titular character through amusing scenarios without giving yourself away, similar to octodad

Wanted / Equilibrium : Slow mo Bullet POV as you're fired from the gun, you need to weave through the environment and cause a chain reaction to kill your target

12 Peaks : Pixelart climbing game similar to Celeste, skill based climbing, punishment loop similar to Jump King or Getting Over It

The Room: Absurdist horror where Tommy Waseu follows you through the same set with furniture rearranged, if he catches you you have to listen to him monologue about his wife. Tommy also shouts stage directions at you to cause some doors to slam locked in front of you.

The Truman Show (But on a smaller scale): You play as a TV producer, watching multiple screens of a single house. Within that house, is the Agoraphobic Truman, the target of your reality TV show. You have to keep Truman non-suspicious, otherwise he will attempt to escape, but you need to cause drama to get more viewers for your show.
While that's happening, Cameras break down around the house, repairs need to be made, all while hiding it from Truman.

Edge of Tomorrow: A large scale battle that the player goes through multiple times to find the perfect order to tackle tasks to get to the final big enemy.  (From a technical side, we were thinking of approaching this as a deterministic grid sim (ie, Game of Life) Then representing enemies on those cells, it was too ambitious for us to attempt)

The Platform: Branching story game where each day offers you a binary choice (eg, eat as much as possible or just enough to survive) with lots of narrative

And finally, the one we decided on,
The Hangover
: A narrative Escape room style game. Small environments with lots of interaction and one big puzzle to solve to escape the room. We've purposefully restrained from coming up with any mechanics or narrative beats as we want to tackle that in the timeframe, but I have settled on an art style I want to try, inspired by The Blackwater Gospel 

I think that's all we have so far, I'm just recounting our group chat. Feel free to borrow any of these if they interest you, Im super keen for the jam :) 
Deleted 1 year ago
(+1)

haha, please, make the Room :D

(1 edit) (+1)

Band of Brothers: it's a World War II military FPS game - oh wait - they already made a game about that. It's called the original Call of Duty.

Ditto for Saving Private Ryan.

(+2)

Im planning on making a game based on Johnny Mnemonic, greatest sci fi movie of all time. 

Thinking of a Death Stranding style gamplay, where you upgrade your character and interact with multiple npcs, and a story that works as a sequel to the original film.

(+1)

I was thinking about films from the 90s:

• Friday,
  • James and the Giant Peach,
  • Happy Gilmore,
  • The Fifth Element,
  • Austin Powers,
  • Home Alone, and
  • Dumb and Dumber (lol).

I want to do James and the Giant Peach, Home Alone, or The Fifth Element. It depends on if I have a good idea for one and a game doesn't already exist yet.

(+1)

I am finally going to make a game I have been thinking about for years. The Good Place.

A creative director in hell decided it would be fun into fooling fallen people to believe they are in the "good place". Your job is to torture these people while keeping their believe up.... Going to be quite exciting....