Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

We've done it ;)

A topic by Reythy created Aug 29, 2020 Views: 148 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

We all managed to submit over 500 games. That's an incredible number to see pop up within a span of a weekend. For many of us, me included, this was the first such event and it feels incredible to be part of it.

Now, the question is: from the perspective of already having your submitted project, how do you feel about the game? How much did it change from the original concept to the submitted release? Did you have to downscale it along the way, did you get carried away, or did you plan everything just right?

In my specific case the theme hit really close to home, so I was actually for the longest time considering just working on the game outside of the jam and just put a release up when I have a polished, more feature-rich product, but in the end decided to actually submit a prototype to the jam anyway. It's far from perfect because of that, it's a game with a lot of different factors, so a lot of stuff needs to be adjusted, but working on it was a cathartic experience in its own way, so I have no regrets. Even though the different factors ended up taking so long to tune properly that I ran out of time to do proper visuals and audio 馃ぃ

What about you? How did your game turn out vs what you were expecting?

Submitted

It was an incredible learning experience for both my first ever game jam AND game. 

The biggest things I learned were how long everything should get, and to be a lot more conservative with our scope. We kinda half-assed our planning not intending to actually build anything, but then slowly built up momentum and actually got a game out there which is amazing! 

I can't wait to do one where I have a dedicated weekend to spend on it, rather than squeezing in the dev around other responsibilities (often when a baby on my lap, really ramping up that Take Care theme haha)

Our game is here:

https://byazzle.itch.io/robot-fighting-mechanic

Submitted

Had to downscale, had to accept some bugs that would take a long time to fix.