Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How does one upload an Inform 7 web site so game can be played online?

A topic by PMarlowe created Oct 31, 2023 Views: 179 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted

subject says it all.

i tried to upload folders containing the web sitr I7 kicks out but it failed.

more likely I failed.

any tips?

Submitted(-1)

I have "release along with an interpreter" in my source code, and then I uploaded the zip file that Inform compiles. I hope you can get it works!

Submitted

if i upload the Zip, can people play the web site game? Or do they have to download the Zip, unzip it and play it locally?

my hope is people can just hit Play and play online.

IFDB does this but not sure how Itch.io does that

Submitted(-1)

Uploading the zip will create an online-playable version!

Submitted

awesome!!! Exactly what I needed! Will give that a shot!

Submitted

My Inform (v 10.1.2.xxxxxx) does not provide a ZIPped file when I compile for Release. It does create a GBLORB file.

Submitted(-1)

Oh I forgot, you have to zip the folder yourself--it'll be the folder called "release".

Submitted

Ah. So players still have to download the ZIP file, unzip it locally, and then load the Play.html file. Ok. I was hoping for a single button play feature.

Oh well. No big.

Thanks!

Submitted(-1)

No, it should still work to play online--I'm not sure what itch does, but I uploaded the zip file for mine and playing online works!

Submitted

I can't seem to get this to work either. I zipped the folder and uploaded it but it just appears on the list as something to download. How does it become playable? thanks!

HostSubmitted

You can cast an eye to this post, maybe it would help:

https://intfiction.org/t/technical-advice-for-hosting-at-itchio/12787

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Took me way longer than it should, given I'm a technical artist for a game company. :-)

But the key is that when you upload the Web Page Inform 7 kicks out as a pre-zipped folder, you have to tell itch.io, in the options when you upload, "This file will be played in a browser."

Once you click that, other options open up that allow you to make the specified changes shown in that post.

And I'm not overly happy with the format of the embedded browser window, but at least it works now! However, I just noticed that there is a very grayed-out full-screen button on bottom that solves a lot of these issues.

I also took the advice to replace the index.html file with play.htm. 

Deleting the original index.html, and renaming play.html helps too, since my ITCH color settings were not allowing me to set the colors on the actual browser page so my text showed up better. But now when you hit PLAY it goes directly to play.html which is preferable.

Thank you so much!!! Even the smallest barrier to play is a hindrance no one needs.

Sean.