Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Got Questions about the Jam Parameters? Ask em here!

A topic by Kira Magrann created Aug 13, 2019 Views: 483 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 7
HostSubmitted

Let Kira or Jenn know if you have questions about what counts as a critter, plant or habitat, if you're having trouble with mechanics, or if you've just never made a game like this before and have no idea where to start.

Do you have any restrictions on us teaming up to co-write a submission? 

HostSubmitted

Nope that sounds awesome! Team away!

Does the actionable item need to be part of the game play, or can it be included in text but not play?

HostSubmitted

It doesn't have to be part of the game play, it can just be an informative sentence somewhere in the text.

Hi! I'd like to know specific activist groups you'll donate to, so I can research them before creating a game that will support them. Do you have a list of these groups?

HostSubmitted

We are currently researching which ones would be best and help the most right now instead of in the future! Researching Extinction Rebellion, Sunrise, stuff that is backed by IPBES etc. If you have any suggestions we'd love to hear them!

I am considering doing a game focusing on monarchs, so I would humbly suggest the Monarch Joint Venture, which focuses on bringing together many different monarch butterfly conservation efforts through partnerships and information sharing:
https://monarchjointventure.org/

HostSubmitted

I'm currently raising monarch caterpillars and writing a game about them too for my patreon lol! I thought about donating to them but I think I'd like to do something bigger and less specific. More climate-y.

HostSubmitted

Additionally! If you'd prefer to make a game and not have it in the anthology once we decide the who the charity is that is also totally cool and you can opt out.

What about games with cards or some other non-dice randomizer?

HostSubmitted

Oh yea that's totally great and fine. 

Submitted

Hi Kira and Jenn,

I'm basically done. It's a pretty unceremonious Word doc now - I could do a more pretty layout, but if you aim for a consistent layout for all games, it would be a bit of futile effort to improve the looks. ;) What would you prefer  - .doc or layouted .pdf?  

Submitted

Aaah, never mind! I just realized that I'll upload the file on my itch-page. Thus, I'd better pretty  it up a bit. ;)

HostSubmitted

Hah awesome you answered your own questions! Looking forward to the gorgeous version.

Submitted

Hi! I'm doing a pervasive solo game, but I'm having trouble coming up with applicable safety mechanics. Some writing on the safety concerns specific to the game, how to check in with yourself and how to handle indirect "interactions" with non-players (in this game's case, ignore them, try to remain unseen, and carry on) plus some stuff on physical  safety feels most appropriate, but I'm wondering how much that fits the criterium of including a safety mechanic. None of the tools included in the Safety Tools Toolkit feel like they fit the pervasive game format super well. Also, I'm a bit anxious that a pervasive game is itself too outside of the parameters of this jam, since it's not really a traditional larp or tabletop game. So I'm hoping that that'll be ok.

HostSubmitted

Oh wow that sounds super complex! I think maybe a check in mechanic to check in with yourself as you play might fit this type of game? Just a simple "check in, see how you feel, stop or redirect if you need to" type of thing? I think a pervasive game fits the parameters just fine and will be great!

Submitted

Thanks! That's mostly where I'm at with it too, but this is helpful.