Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Well Done!

A topic by Mnemonic Games created Jul 31, 2023 Views: 229 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+3)

Well done to everyone that participated in the Jam. Sadly I only had time to enter day 1 & 2, both games I worked on didn't get picked up but I've had a blast playing what you guys have created.

Now we can talk about the projects a little more, my idea behind my entry on day 1 was to give people a solid base to build upon, so I made a little top down 3D GTA clone, it used a few assets (you can read which ones on the project page) but still took me the best part of the day to get it all put together and get pedestrians walking around etc 

If I'd had more time I would have added traffic on the streets, and added more to the mini map. The game could have gone so many ways, GTA style / delivery / crazy taxi or a top down shooter. Weapons were in place ready to be used. 

I had a bunch of ideas, my main one was to have a 5 star wanted level, and have police and even a few NPCs attack you. The idea was you had to survive as long as you could, and have a leaderboard for top times. If I get chance I many work on this further.

If you want to play the game in it's day 1 state here it is: https://mnemonicgames.itch.io/blackthornprod-gamejam-day-1

For day 2 I picked up https://itch.io/jam/day-1/rate/2187802 by Endermagnet - I really liked the style and concept. I made a menu, added music, some post processing and a few extra levels (which sucked) but the main thing I added was a timer for each level as well as a counter for each time you respawned. Again taking the idea from my day 1 entry I did want to add the competitiveness to the project, competing against your own times as well as a global leaderboard. Sadly I didn't have time to implement a leaderboard.

I tried a few of the other submissions to see what others had done with the project and especially liked what Sleepy Lava  did on day 2: https://itch.io/jam/day-2/rate/2190033 - combining the level design and time attack / leaderboard ideas would have been a great mix I think.

I will have to have a look at all the other variations others made. I wish I could have participated more, but had a great time on days 1 and 2.

Again well done everyone.

Submitted

Thank you. I actually played your first project, but didn't pick it because I didn't want to get my dirty hands on it and trash your game. 

Haha, take it and break it I say.

I played all your entries, you added a so much. Especially to Octailian.

Submitted

Thank you, I will definitely do this again next time. Hope they make some updates to this system, and hope you have a good day! Bye!

Congrats to everybody

So, my first day project was Keep The Light Alive, and it's an idea I've had bouncing around in my head for a long time (it actually started out as a JRPG concept if you can believe it). You were in a dark environment, and you would navigate by light created by your character. When you lost energy, the light would fade, making it harder to navigate as well as to see potential enemies in the dark. There would be occasional light sources that you could drain, regaining your energy while putting out light sources, and you could fire little blasts of energy that would briefly light up the area they were traveling through. I also wanted a secondary attack that would do enormous damage but would cost a lot of energy and only light up the area momentarily (BEEG LAZOR).

I focused a little too much on making the player controller work (wall jumping in particular was a pain in the ass and didn't really add anything without more walls to jump off) but I did manage to get a full gameplay loop into the game, complete with death screen. (In retrospect I probably should've focused on making an exit since I wanted the player to navigate the dark, rather than enemies that could kill you). Also by the end of it I started to secretly hope that the next dev would turn it into a top-down shooter instead, because having it as a 2D platformer/shooter felt very disjointed.  (which Day 3 did do and also made the character that is now my avatar, *she's so adorable LOOK AT HER LITTLE LIGHTBULB*

I skipped day 2 because I was exhausted by the above. For Day 3 I took Fantasy Game and added some exploration elements. I programmed in a PointsOfInterest code that would automatically track when you found an interesting area and how many of them there were. I added some ruins, a graveyard, a separate tomb from the others, a group of fairies wandering the blue grass area, and made the endpoint indicator a wizard tower. The problem was that I used a few Asset Store packets to make them and they were MASSIVE files that I didn't bother cleaning out before I tried to upload the things. Woops.

I also wanted to add a fairy at the very start of the game that would draw the players towards their grove (from which you could see the end goal tower in the distance as well as the ruins I'd added) but I couldn't get the code to work properly. The fairy would stop partway to the grove and I could never figure out why, though I think it has to do with how I handled their home location.

I'm a bit disappointed my Day 1 didn't make it to the end, but I was able to get a LOT done and figure out a lot about how game creation works from this jam (triggers, for example. And wall jumps!). So, thanks a lot everybody, and congrats to those who made it all the way! ^_^

(+1)

Funnily enough I have been playing through the Alan Wake remaster recently, which uses some interesting light / dark mechanics. Keep The Light Alive sounds great, I will give it a download and try it out.

Does anyone plan on continuing work on their projects?

I've actually been considering doing KTLA in full as its own game; when I passed it along I thought all it really needed was art, sound and decent level design. Though I will feel a little sad that I can't use purab's character design for the MC, I might try to ape it through my attempts at sprite art, and I might replace my medieval dungeon/torches idea with stars on a starscape. That or work with purab to finish the thing with his own art ideas... but probably not cuz I don't think itch has a messaging system.

But for the rest, somebody actually posted a follow-up Jam for this where you take games that didn't make it to the end and finish them up: https://itch.io/jam/games-we-passed-jam

(+1)

I've joined this Jam, if you need me to do anything on KTLA just let me know.

Submitted(+1)

I LOVE ALAN WAKE SO MUCH!! Anyone else hyped for the sequel??? I still don't know how I'm going to be able to run the game but I am so excited

Yes! I can't wait for the sequel (it's why I bought the remaster) I hope it's open world like the original was meant to be.