Jobs
Tags

🇬🇧 🇮🇹 FAQ Sticky Locked

A topic by Geecko on the Wall created May 04, 2021 Views: 86
This topic is locked
Viewing posts 1 to 1
HostSubmitted (7 edits)

🇬🇧

Where can I buy Cthulhu Dark, 2nd edition?

You can buy the game in print or digital format from Indie Press Revolution. If you live in Europe, you can easily cut shipping costs by buying the game from Sphärenmeisters Spiele.

I would like to participate, but I don't know if I will have the time, the constancy or the skills to do so. What do you recommend?

While participating in the jam is not a legal requirement and you should only do it if you feel comfortable, I suggest you open a topic in the community and ask if anyone else would like to participate in a team with you.

Can I start collecting ideas and writing the mystery now or do I have to wait until the jam officially starts?

If you need more time, you can start working right away, but you can only submit your mystery once the jam has officially started.

I have an old mystery written for the first edition of Cthulhu Dark, another Cthulhu Mythos game, or another investigative role-playing game. Can I “convert” it and still join the jam?

Yes, just follow the procedures explained in Cthulhu Dark, 2nd edition, in the “Writing a mystery” and “Rewriting the mystery” sections (pages 27-39).

The mystery must be set in Italy, but am I required to use a real existing place or can I create a fictitious place?

You can definitely create a fictitious place, as long as it is located in Italy.

I won’t have time to translate the mystery into another language. Can I participate with a mystery written only in one language?

Yes, you can. The important thing is that you write your mystery. If your language is less accessible than others it is not important: my intention is to break down the barriers that tell people that they cannot write mysteries. I don’t want people to feel the pressure to participate in a language other than their mother tongue if they don’t want to.

I wrote a mystery with over 10,000 words. Am I out of the jam or can I still participate?

There is no rule about the length of mysteries: the limit of 10,000 words is my advice not to be too verbose. The four mysteries in Cthulhu Dark’s manual measure 6,890, 10,371, 7,330, and 7,307 words respectively. I’m sure you can easily write intriguing mysteries with 10,000 words or less but, in any case, no mystery will be excluded from the jam because of its length.

I have game supports and extra material for my mystery. Do I have to count these things in the 10,000 words too?

My advice is to be nice to the other participants: if it can be read, count it in the 10,000 words.

Does the mystery have to be laid out?

No, it is sufficient to send it in text-only format, or formatted and not laid out. The purpose of the jam is to write the text of a mystery. Publishing a final version, playtested and formatted as it should be, is a very good goal, but I suggest you do it only when the mystery is really ready for publication.

I’d like to try to layout the mystery with the same graphics as the manual. Which fonts should I use?

Titles are in League Gothic (free), while text is in Century Expanded (paid). If you write on Google Drive, Oswald is a good alternative for titles, while Century Expanded is freely available. If you write with offline programs, you can freely download League Gothic, while Tex Gyre Schola (free) is a good alternative for text.

The titles are in League Gothic (free), while the text is in Century Expanded (paid). If you write on Google Drive, Oswald is a good alternative for the titles and Century Schoolbook for the text.

After the jam, until the end of June, I can rate and comment on the mysteries of the other participants. In this way, don’t I risk to “spoiler them” and not be able to play them later?

In my opinion, participating in the jam also means reading, rating and commenting on the mysteries of the other participants. However, ratings and comments are open to all itch.io members (they also participate in the jam in this way), and not only to those who have sent a mystery. That said, reading, rating and commenting on other people’s mysteries is absolutely optional: if you think reading them will affect your experience as a player, don’t do it. I usually play as the Director, so I have no problem reading other people’s mysteries.

Where’s the cover picture of the jam coming from?

The cover picture is in the public domain. It is entitled Château de la reine Jeane and comes from Jean-Baptiste Isabey, Voyage en Italie, Paris, 1823, plate 25, and was found on Old Book Illustrations. The cover graphics were created by Antonio Amato.

🇮🇹

Dove posso comprare Cthulhu Dark, 2ÂŞ edizione?

Puoi comprare il gioco in formato cartaceo o digitale da Indie Press Revolution. Se abiti in Europa, puoi facilmente abbattere i costi di spedizione comprando il gioco da Sphärenmeisters Spiele.

Mi piacerebbe partecipare, ma non so se avrò il tempo, la costanza o le competenze per farlo. Cosa mi consigli?

Premesso che partecipare alla jam non è un obbligo di legge e che dovresti farlo solo se ti senti a tuo agio, ti consiglio di aprire una discussione nella community e di chiedere se qualcun altro vorrebbe partecipare in squadra con te.

Posso cominciare a raccogliere idee e a scrivere il mistero da subito o devo aspettare l’inizio ufficiale della jam?

Se ti serve piĂą tempo, comincia pure a lavorare da subito, ma potrai inviare il tuo mistero solo una volta che la jam sarĂ  iniziata ufficialmente.

Ho un vecchio mistero scritto per la prima edizione di Cthulhu Dark, per un altro gioco sui Miti di Cthulhu o per un altro gioco di ruolo investigativo. Posso “convertirlo” e partecipare comunque alla jam?

Sì, basta seguire le procedure spiegate Cthulhu Dark, 2ÂŞ edizione, nelle sezioni “Writing a mystery” e “Rewriting the mystery” (pagine 27-39).

Il mistero deve essere ambientato in Italia, ma sono tenuto a usare un luogo realmente esistente o posso creare un luogo fittizio?

Puoi tranquillamente creare un luogo fittizio, fintanto che sia chiaramente situato in Italia.

Non avrò il tempo di tradurre il mistero in un’altra lingua. Posso partecipare con un mistero scritto solo in una lingua?

Sì. L’importante è che tu scriva il tuo mistero. Se la tua lingua è meno accessibile di altre non è importante: la mia intenzione è quella di abbattere le barriere che dicono alle persone che non sono in grado di scrivere misteri. Non voglio che la gente si senta addosso la pressione di partecipare in una lingua diversa dalla propria lingua madre, se non vuole.

Ho scritto un mistero con piĂą di 10.000 parole. Sono fuori dalla jam o posso partecipare lo stesso?

Non c’è una regola sulla lunghezza dei misteri: il limite di 10.000 parole è un mio consiglio per non essere troppo prolissi. I quattro misteri presenti sul manuale di Cthulhu Dark misurano rispettivamente 6.890, 10.371, 7.330 e 7.307 parole. Sono sicuro che si possano scrivere senza problemi misteri intriganti con 10.000 parole o meno ma, in ogni caso, nessun mistero verrĂ  escluso dalla jam per la sua lunghezza.

Ho dei supporti di gioco e del materiale extra per il mio mistero. Devo contare anche queste cose nelle 10.000 parole?

Il mio consiglio è quello di essere gentile con gli altri partecipanti: se può essere letto, contalo nelle 10.000 parole.

Il mistero deve essere obbligatoriamente impaginato?

No, è sufficiente inviarlo in formato di solo testo, o di testo formattato e non impaginato. Lo scopo della jam è quello di scrivere il testo di un mistero. Pubblicarne una versione definitiva, playtestata e impaginata come si deve, è un ottimo obiettivo, ma vi consiglio di farlo solo quando il mistero sarà davvero pronto per la pubblicazione.

Vorrei provare a impaginare il mistero con la stessa grafica del manuale. Quali caratteri devo usare?

I titoli sono in League Gothic (gratis), mentre il testo è in Century Expanded (a pagamento). Se scrivi su Google Drive, Oswald è una valida alternativa per i titoli, mentre Century Expanded è liberamente disponibile. Se scrivi con programmi offline, puoi scaricare liberamente League Gothic, mentre Tex Gyre Schola (gratis) è una valida alternativa per il testo.

Dopo la jam, fino alla fine di giugno, posso valutare e commentare i misteri dei partecipanti. In questo modo, non rischio di “spoilerarmeli” e di non poterli giocare più avanti?

Secondo me, partecipare alla jam vuol dire anche leggere, valutare e commentare i misteri degli altri partecipanti. Tuttavia, le valutazioni e i commenti sono aperti a tutti gli iscritti a itch.io (anche loro partecipano, in questo modo, alla jam), e non solo a chi ha inviato un mistero. Detto questo, leggere, valutare e commentare i misteri altrui è assolutamente opzionale: se credi che leggerli pregiudichi la tua esperienza di giocatore, non farlo. Io, di solito, gioco come Regista, per cui non ho problemi a leggere i misteri degli altri.

Da dove viene l’immagine di copertina della jam?

L’immagine di copertina è di pubblico dominio. Si intitola Château de la reine Jeane e proviene dall’opera Jean-Baptiste Isabey, Voyage en Italie, Parigi, 1823, tavola 25, ed è stata reperita su Old Book Illustrations. La grafica di copertina è stata realizzata da Antonio Amato.