Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The Jam has closed!

A topic by EX FIRST GAMES created Nov 30, 2022 Views: 117 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Host

Hello all, Charlie here. Thank you for participating in my first game Jam. I can't say I did a great job at inspiring people to join or at promoting the game jam - I just don't have the followers right now. But I was really happy to see the last-minute entries.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
I will review the entries and start giving feedback and work with you to improve the entry. I want each entry to be as best as it can be.  Then, a winner will be announced! Funds and prizes will be sent. And then

LATE ENTRIES
I was just thinking about the late entries... and how to reduce that for the next jam. I think a focus for the next Jam will be FEEDBACK, so the earlier you submit, the more feedback you will get - from me at least. So why the late submission? Are you too busy? Are you worried about someone stealing your ideas and using them somewhere else? I would be more worried about someone writing the idea I have in my head before I get to submit it.

Feel free to ask any questions, and thanks for following me on itch.

Submitted

Hi Charlie, just one quick question: the only other ranked game jam I was in, the participants voted on each other's games. Is this one where you vote on your favorite? I was looking for a way to rate everyone's entries but couldn't find anything, and didn't want to miss out if it was up to us. 

Thanks,

Ghotib

Submitted

Hello. Well I won't speak for others or even guess, but being busy I understand. I only came across the Kickstarter on Nov 24th. Yes that was Thanksgiving. And I work retail so Black Friday for me started midnight Thursday and ran over 10 hours. After that a nap before getting with friends Friday night. I truly couldn't think about it until Saturday and I already had commitments for Sunday and Monday. So even from the beginning I was rushing to get something together to submit. I also wanted to do something for a later adventure that would close the one that began on the Treasure Hunter's Compass. Alas, I knew that was getting overly optimistic. I wasn't even sure I would get the second submission in, though I'm glad I did. And now it will probably be at least a week before I can touch both of those and maybe work on some cover images.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining and really glad I decided to buckle in and finish those submissions, but in this case I didn't have the luxury of procrastinating.

And on another note I'm happy to have read everyone else's submissions. I like the collaborative idea here and I hope this grows.

Thanks,

R Alexander Calahan

Submitted

I was much in the same position, I backed the coin on Kickstarter and then didn't even see the bit about the Adventure Spark until about a week before the deadline while I had two other deadlines for some short stories and dithered over whether or not to add to my stress and workload [while also taking up loads of time with 'real' money earning job]. Thus I could only really brainstorm and plan out the idea during work on Monday, and then write it up on Tuesday.

I loved the idea of Adventure Sparks, as a very creative and overambitious GM and storyteller I tend to struggle with prewritten modules and adventures because they feel too limiting/not permissive enough towards the GM to alter according to the moment or group or campaign. However I'm also a very huge scope/overambitious creator, so a lot of the work that went into mine was very much curbing my impulse to add more details, more features, more world building and so on. I also struggled with the line of keeping it vague enough to be system agnostic, but detailed enough to actually be an identifiable story and have its own character.

I've never really done game jams before, my other submissions were purely to show off some narrative fiction in a job application, so I'm unaware of the etiquette or social aspects involved in this sort of thing. Happy to learn through this though!

-Ian

Submitted

I'm an anxious person, what were the results?

Submitted

haha, I literally was watching the count-down for the same reason!! ;) Best of luck to us all! 

Host

Hi folks. I've read and made notes on all the entries. But I'm going to need a bit more time. My holiday starts in a few days and this is my second priority (the second one is shipping CoinSides).